Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I need to get a caption phone which requires me to plug the

I need to get a caption phone which requires me to plug the phone into the same outlet as I use for my connection to Comcast. what can I do/ XXXX XXXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jean, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Sounds like you need a router or ethernet switch. I am going on your description and am assuming that it is the ethernet port.
What would help is to know exactly what model modem it is and the model of the caption phone you are trying to connect.
As much detail as possible about your home network will also help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In answer to your question I have a Mac 10.5.8. I want to plug a Captel Model 800i phone into the Mac's ethernet port. However my Comcast cable is plugged into that port. What do I do? Jean XXXX
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You will need a router between the Comcast modem and your computer. This expands the ethernet ports and allows additional devices to be connected.
Cisco, Belkin, Apple all make good routers that are easy to install. I recommend the Apple as being the easiest, you already have the software on your Mac to set ip up. It is the most pricy of them, I find the Airport Extreme to be very reliable.
It can also function as a Time Machine for keeping your Mac backed up for when disaster strikes.

That is what I would use, you do have other choices. Office Max, Staples, Best Buy and Wal-mart all sell good routers.

Does that help?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.