Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hey Yall, My name is Ron. Why is my MacBook running so

Customer Question

Hey Y'all,
My name is Ron.
Why is my MacBook running so slow? I have plenty of memory!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will fry to reset PRAM and NVRAM. If unsuccessful, how do I reach you?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me after restart.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to reset PRAM and NVRAM. It took me to the "Finder." with no apparent solution. Then I had a confusing time with the web page, trying to understand how to get to you. Also, they accepted my $42.00 before offering me the 7 day "Free Trial."
I am having a discouraging experience tonight.
Can we begin again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
That is the deposit you made to unlock answers...It is fully refundable if i couldn't solve your problem.

Did you tried Solution2 and 3 ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Ashik,
I have tried all Three solutions. Nothing has changed. From the time I turn the power on, until My computer boots up and is ready for use, is as much as 4 to 5 Minutes. Do you have any other thoughts or solutions?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Did Disk Utility showed any errors ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it stated that it was "OK"
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is Version 10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You can do a Archive and Install with the Mac OS X installation disc. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read Instructions

Let me know if that didn't worked...Only click Accept after it worked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When a possible solution becomes a fix, then I will be satisfied with the answer. So far, Ashik has been clear and apparently well versed in his abilities. He understands my difficulty. I am confident He will guide me to a proper repair. I will locate the Mac OS X Installation disc and follow instructions. Then I will be in touch with the results. Thank You
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
No Problem...Good Luck !
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the solution of holding down the home and option keys along with the p and r keys, then starting the computer. It just took me to a "Finder Page". So, Here I am again, back to "square one." My computer has been processing this question for over 6 minutes. What Now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Have you did Archive and Install ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Ashik,
I'm sorry it took so long. I went to Church today and spent time with Family. Yes, I did "Archive and Install"!
Fortunately, I had almost everything backed up, except for some recent important pictures. After selecting Archive and Install, the system proceeded to uninstall most of my applications and all of my Documents, pictures, projects, and history! I went into finder to locate earlier systems and found about 50% of my files. As I keep searching, I am finding most of my files scattered throughout my computer in no sense of order.
I went into Time Machine to restore what I have saved on my Seagate Exterior Hard-Drive. Time Machine isn't showing any way to restore my backed up files. I have never experienced such a mess, especially on a Mac! I have spent the last couple of hours trying to find a way to restore the files backed up on my Seagate.
I think I need some sleep and attack it again in the morning.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Archive and Install won't remove any of your files or application, it will just replace the system files with new one. Have you tried searching with Spotlight ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed these instructions to the letter! I cautiously double checked my selection of "Archive and install", however, all of my files were removed. When I went to my external hard drive to recover my "backed up files", my worst nightmare began! All of my Photos, Documents, Accounting, inventory, projects, letters, etc., were all in a "Heap" of mixed files with no particular organization. I couldn't even get on line until I re-installed all of my personal information and re-set my account with new passwords. I have spent a couple of days selecting individual files, then doing a drag-n-drop into the program where they belong.
You see none of the Mac Programs are saved in Back-up, so Time Machine and my Seagate external Hard Drive just put all of my files in a "Heap".
Then I was charged the $42.00 for this mess and a couple of days later, I was charged another $62.00!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I don't know...I've did Archive and Install many times and also many clients in here did same. None of them have this problem...

Contact [email protected] for refund.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm positive I selected "Archive and Install." Why all of my files were lost, I cannot tell you. Even my installation of iWorks 2008 was wiped out. The disc is with my wife in California. I had to purchase another one. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but it hasn't showed up. I need to track the order.