Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

hi, i have Mac Book Pro Leopard. About an hour ago I tried

Customer Question

hi, i have Mac Book Pro Leopard.
About an hour ago I tried to close some windows, but the rainbow circle kept spinning, so I assumed it was semi-frozen and decided to restart it. So, I shut it down.But when I started it again, I ended up with a flashing question mark.
So, I followed the instructions : holding Option key - didn't work: the question makr disappeared, but that was it, it never went past that. So, I tried the install DVD with holding C key. I got to Disk Utility where I was supposed to see Macintosh HD, right?... well, there is no Macintosh HD. It shows this Mac install disk and MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 - I don't even know what this Matshita is and how to get rid of it or by pass it,.
So, what should I do to get my computer back to normal?
What might I have done to cause this?
How do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 is your DVD drive if you do not even see the internal drive with the Disk Utility booted from your systen disk I'm afraid it has completely failed and needs to be replaced. Restart and ry it again to be sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what you've said is all greek to me. What completely failed? do I have to go to the aple store to replace it? what does DVD drive have to do with me being unable to restart the computer?...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You said "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 - I don't even know what this Matshita is" I was just telling you what it was. Your hard drive (Macintosh HD) has failed. Yes you need to take it to the Apple Store.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is not helpful at all and it sounds like you simply made a guess, i find much more helpful answers on apple support site for free.
If that's what your experts are like, then I do not need them. How do I cancel my subscription?