Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My battery is being sucked down at an alarming rate - within

Customer Question

My battery is being sucked down at an alarming rate - within 4 hours even if not in use.

My Usage and Standby hours are nearly the same. I got a new phone from the Apple store last week. What can be causing this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

If the battery is draining quickly, you may need to get it replaced.

Try a reset by pressing and holding the power button and home button together until you see an apple logo.

if that does not solve the issue, try restoring the phone from itunes.

If that too does not help, then you need to take it to an apple store and get it replaced.

Hope this info helps.

Thank You
Vinod
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This was the same problem I had with my old phone. Got it replaced last week.

How do I restore the phone from itunes?

Connect the phone to the computer. To the left side of the itunes, your iphone name will be listed, below "devices". Click on the phone name, and now to the middle of the screen, you will have the restore button.

After restore is complete, you have two options - restore from backup and set up as a new phone.

Try the restore from backup option first. If that does not work, restore again and this time "set up as a new phone"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I'm giving it a shot. I won't know until the battery has been completely charged and I have a few hours to see what's happening.

Could there be something in my computer that is causing this to happen. I went through this last week before I got a new phone. All week everything was fine. This afternoon was the first time in a week I had this problem.

May be it is a temporary problem. Since the problem started just today, just try charging it for 3-4 hours. then take it out and let's see how long the battery live.

I don't think the computer can cause battery issues to the phone except if you overcharge often
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The guy at the apple store told me originally my usage and standby numbers were the same and that was the problem. That's what happened today. What can you tell me about the relationship between the two.
Unfortnately, I am not sure of the relation. Apple store may be having different statistical methods for calculating the age of the device.

This is the only data which I have related to the battery life (collected from apple support site)

Power and battery2
Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM model only)
Standby time: Up to 300 hours
Internet use:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so just to be sure, is this a common problem? Seems odd that this would happen to me twice when I don't know any other person this has happened to. What else can you tell me?

I cannot say it is a common problem.. Not sure why it happened to two different iphones and that too within a short span of time after you received the new phone.

may be there is a case that the usb cable or usb port in the computer is faulty.

Try using different usb cables if you have any, also try charging through different ports in the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. thanks for your help.
no problem...:)