Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

iPhoto 9 (8.1.2 424) no longer reads my Canon raw files.

iPhoto 9 (8.1.2 = 424) no longer reads my Canon raw files. (Canon 60D.) It used to! Has something changed? Is there a software remedy?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm Mac Version 10.5.8 (Leopard), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and memory is 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. I did verify the disk and repair my permissions. I should have told you that this is the 3rd hard drive I've had installed in this Mac (luckily under extended warranty). The most recent one was about a month ago. I suppose I can also go back in to Apple and tell them that downloading photos has changed. As I mentioned, I used to be able to download my raw images. Now it acts like it's downloading them, but gives me a list of all their numbers and tells me it cannot recognize them. Thanks for any help you can give to solve this. --Julie
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok have you run the Software Update recently, if not do that.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have to sign off if you want to come back tomorrow we can continue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Mike,

I finally had time to give Apple a call. They walked me through the same preliminary checks that you had (software update, etc.) and then had me download an Apple-Canon raw image software patch. Everything seems to be downloading just fine. I think that means I have no more problem.

It's sure nice to have met you. Let me know if there's any more I need to do. I know I've paid $48 for the service, and I'm grateful for the help you gave me until I called Apple. Hopefully if I have a problem again, I can find you. It's sure nice to have a resource like you guys. Great service. --Julie
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK great thank you please come back and ask for me if so inclined:

http://mikethemacmedic.com