Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

have items in trash to delete, but cant because Application

have items in trash to delete, but can't because "Application Data is locked. Option key
and selecting empty trash doesn't work
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Restart and try again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this restart didn't solve the proble, anything else I can try?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes go here and download Onyx for your system version open it and select the Utilitties tab and then the Trash tab Empty the trash from there:
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
downloaded ok opened up and typed in Utilities and clicked on it but couldn't find trash. Did try to empty trash from the dock but still no luck. I'm missing something here

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Not sure what you mean why would you "type" in anything, it looks like this:

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Need more instructions, do you see that now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Found the software on the Mac drive. has been verified, found trash and told it to delete contents, it said trash emptied and successfully removed, still have program files , windows, and document and settings folders in trash. tried empting again from trash and apploicationdata is locked. Now what, and thanks for your patience

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand did you open Onyx do you see the exact same window I just showed you? What is it you are trying to trash it sounds like system files that should not be delteed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I saw the same window agree it looks like folders that should not be there. did not knowingly send them there. ant me to put them back on desktop. tried this once but that just duplicaed things.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will start the verifying in disk utility right after this. Version 10.5..2 2.4 2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo mem 2 GB 800 MHz ddrz sdram
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have to sign off if you want to come back tomorrow we can continue. I think you will have to reinstall the system:
Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install if you don't have that option just install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok its still repairing permissions, but I'll let you know tomorrow how it went. will accept answer then.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem, thanks.