John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hi. . I am on an older mac-powerbook g4. I must be on a

Hi. . I am on an older mac-powerbook g4. I must be on a video conference tomorrow and i need to do it through skype. i bought a logitech webcam tonight, but i can't even down load skype let alone set up this camera. the skype download gives me an error message that its not compatible with my system. can you help me with this tonight? I of course will pay a good bonus.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

What version of OS X are you currently running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you remind me where I can find that information. i don't remember off the top of my head. thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you remind me where I can find that information. i don't remember off the top of my head. thank you. I just found it. It is osx version 10.5.8
Okay, great. Thanks. :)

The last version of Skype that will support your hardware is v2.8 and is directly available via the following link:

Assuming your cam is supported, then you should be good to go once you get the above installed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. thanks so much. so i will download the skype version you have just sent. when i inserted the software disk from logitech c 525, and i click on the icon for it, it opens up to many folders. when i try to open the folders i only see gibberish.
Judging by the documentation available from Logitech, the cam should be supported under your version of OS X without the need for you to install anything from the CD. You *may* have to reboot but, otherwise, it should "just work". Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much. Can you also help me with why my computer is so incredibly slow?
Generally, OS X is pretty good about not getting "bogged down" however, the first thing I would check on a PowerBook is to make sure the hard drive is not getting too full. Laptop hard drive access tends to get noticably slower the more data they have on them and this is particularly noticable under OS X.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can u suggest how I can clean the harddrive up?

Always Empty your Trash regularly

remove/uninstall any applications you don't use any longer (Leave apps provided by Apple alone, just stuff you've downloaded yourself)

Remove any downloads you've been saving but no longer need (such as installers or disk images)

Clear the cache in your web browser (Click Safari in the menubar and look for the option to "Empty Cache"

If you keep a lot of videos, documents or photos that you no longer reference, consider putting them on CD or an external hard drive.

Go to ~/Library/Caches/, and delete anything you see from applications you no longer have installed.

Go to ~/Library/Safari/, and delete the “Icons” folder if you see it. This stores all of the favicons on websites, which appear next to the URL. This can also speed up web browsing speed in Safari.

If you don’t use it, remove Mac OS 9 if its installed. To remove it, drag the "System Folder" and the "Application (Mac OS 9)" folders to the trash from the root of your hard drive.

Hope that helps!