John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have an apple with a serial number of G871336KUPZ. It runs

I have an apple with a serial number of G871336KUPZ. It runs the Mac OS X Leopard software. I have forgotten my administrator's password XXXXX have been trying to change it. According to the reference I have reviewed on the machine, I am to insert the software, restart and press the letter "c" when it starts up. However, the computer ejects the disk and I cannot get to the re-install frame. What is going on. I am very frustrated and I really need your help. Thanks for your help. I am at a loss. Thanks, Mike
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 5 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

Hi, what is the model of your Mac?

Also, what does the disc you are using say exactly? Some Macs shipped with more than one Restore disc and you must use the first one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Disk: Mac OS X Leopard Install Dvd Version 10.5

Model of MAC: Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Thanks
Okay, with the DVD in the drive, reboot your Mac and instead of pressing the "C" key - hold down the OPTION key instead and see if it shows the DVD as an option.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put the DVD in and restarted the computer. I pressed the Option key when it started up and the DVD ejected 5 times. It is doing the same thing as before,
Is this the Install DVD that came with this Mac?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think so. I upgraded to Mac OS X Leopard some years ago.
Okay, is this a retail DVD or an Install DVD from another Mac? If it's from another Mac, it may not boot on this one.

Do you have the original Tiger(?) Install Disc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I can't find the original tiger install disk. Can I purchase another one?
You can probably locate an older install disc on eBay fairly easily but the price seems to be going up as they get harder to find.

However, you can purchase an OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD directly from Apple for only $29.00. Even if you have no wish to upgrade, it should still serve as an acceptable replacement for needs such as this one.

http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=snow+leopard

You'll might want to get back into this system now rather than wait on a disc and there *is* a method of getting into the system and changing the password XXXXX the DVD. It takes a little more effort and requires the creation of a new account but saves the waiting. If you'd like I can provide the procedure for that, as well.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about purchasing another version of Tiger?
At one point Apple was offering a replacement service for lost or damaged "System Specific" software which should cover your Mac if media is still available. I am unsure of pricing but it was around $40 a few years back.

You can contact them through Express Lane:
https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.do?PRKEYS=SG1
and have them give you a call-back or phone directly:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>