Brad M
Brad M, IT Support Tech
Experience:  I have a BS in Computer Information Systems, and I have professional & home experience with Macs.
41676755

My yahoo mail account was hacked and emails sent to all my

Customer Question

My yahoo mail account was hacked and emails sent to all my contacts so I changed my password XXXXX it didn't help now what?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brad M replied 5 years ago.

Brad M :

Hi, my name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with this issue.

Customer:

thanks

Brad M :

I have recently had the same thing happen to my Hotmail account. So don't feel bad. It happens to everyone.

Brad M :

When you say that changing your Yahoo password "didn't help", do you mean that emails are still being sent to all your contacts?

Customer:

yes I changed it this morning in hopes that it would stop but I got home this afternoon and notice they were still going out.

Customer:

I notice it because I began to get a fluid of <undeliverable> return emails for old or bad emails from my contacts.

Brad M :

Ok. How many devices do you have that you access your Yahoo mail with? cell phone? Laptop? Desktop? etc

Customer:

my mac, pc, two cells and iPad....Five!

Brad M :

Is your password XXXXX on any of those devices?

Customer:

yes..

Brad M :

I would say, try changing your password XXXXX but only from the webmail interface of Yahoo. Don't update the saved password XXXXX any of your other devices until you can verify that no spam is being sent from your account. Then, one at a time, update the password XXXXX your other devices and see if/when the emails start happening again.

Brad M :

Most likely your Mac & iPad..and most likely the cell phones are not compromised with malware. But depending on what apps you have on them & what kind of access those apps have to your device, they could be the problem.

Brad M :

As for the PC, I would recommend making sure your antivirus is up-to-date and run a full scan of your system. Another good program to use on your PC is Malwarebytes Anti-malware which you can download here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Brad M :

Also, Yahoo actually has a Customer Service phone number where you can get their take on it if all else fails and you still are having spam sent from your account. You can reach them here:(NNN) NNN-NNNN(I've called it myself, it's actually a Yahoo Cust. Service number)

Brad M :

If you would like, you can also send an email to this address explaining to Yahoo what your problem is:[email protected]

Brad M :

I'm thinking it's probably one of your devices that you have saved your password XXXXX that is compromising your account.

Brad M :

I know that's a lot of information, so please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the above. I want to help in any way I can.

Customer:

ok I'll give it a try... I only have it saved on my iMac, iPhones and iPad through the system settings and I rarely use the pc so I know it's not saved there??? but I'll change them one at a time and see what happens

Brad M :

Ok that sounds good. Do you remember installing any questionable apps prior to the email problems? I think that's what caused mine with my Hotmail account. I have a Droid, and a day or so after installing a free game my account got hacked & was sending spam.

Customer:

it's possible....will deleting them stop the problem

Brad M :

Yes. If you remove the app & then change your password XXXXX will take care of it.

Brad M :

Here are some helpful articles from Yahoo on "Suspicious Activity" with your account: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=topics&y=PROD_ACCT&topics=TOP_SUSP

Customer:

ok...thanks

Brad M :

The 3rd link on that page is your situation: Spam is being sent to my contacts from my Yahoo! account

Brad M :

So there may be some helpful info there for you too