Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iMac is connected to the internet. My Network Preferences

Customer Question

My iMac is connected to the internet. My Network Preferences show that both my Ethernet and Airport are connected. My laptop, of which I am using to write this, is working through the iMACs airport. But My iMAC won't connect when i open up a browser. How can I fix this?

It's 5 questions for $28. I've only asked one. Thanks for wasting my whole day.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes... I know it's just some minor thing i can't pinpoint... after restarting, turning on and off my modem and router... unplugging cables... it's just weird that my imac can't connect when i open a browser. My laptop, which i'm talking to you now, connects with my iMACs airport. thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok you don't want to have both Airport and Ethernet connected which do you want to use?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to have the airport on so my laptop can talk to you. My laptop, which is a dell pc, is connected to my iMAC. My iMAC is having the problem connecting. It won't connect when i open my browser.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Can you clarify why can’t you just use the Dell to connect to the internet for this, why is it connected to the iMac?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My i MAC is my primary computer. The modem is plugged into it. The laptop i'm using is borrowed. It's connect to the iMACs airport. It works through it, Mike. It's so frustrating.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I still don't understand, sorry, if the modem is plugged intot the iMac then you are sharing the internet connection via airport to the Dell which means the iMac is getting an internet connection???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Exactly Mike. It IS getting the connection, but when i open a browser on my iMAC it doesn't connect. It's driving me crazy. lol...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried more than one browser?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Safari, and Firefox.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok go to Network Preferences and tell me what is listed under Ethernet / Advanced / TCP/IP
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

Configure IPv6: Off

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok open Network Utility and select the Ping tab and type in apple.com for 10 pings. tell me the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
network utility? where is that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
found it.... ping: send to: no route to host
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.6.8

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Verified Disk

Invalid volume file count, and directory count. It's found corrupt and needs to be repaired. Wont repair. Repair Disk is not highlighted.

Verifying permisions. ...
Repairing permissions...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
for some bizarre reason, i don't have my disk. I just opened my box and it wasn't there. ug... i guess i'll have to take it in. thanks for all your help Mike. At least we know the problem is the MAC.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
There is another way:

Go to link below and download AppleJack open and install, then restart and hold Command and S keys. When you get to the command prompt type

applejack auto restart

then hit Return.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you get that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay... I figured it out myself. So... all you have to do is Open Network Preferences. Click on Assist me. Click "Assistant..." Type in a name of a new location, such as "home" or "work"... click Continue.Click on the appropriate method to connect to the internet. I chose: "I use a cable modem to connect to the internet". Click continue. I chose: I have a DHCP Client ID. I type in my ID: xxxxxxx_xxxxx.net (comcast user name ID) Click continue, and I'm connected. Voila!

took me 3 days to figure that out. Sucks. Now you know Mike, if anyone ever asks you that again. I knew it was something pathetically simple. Thanks man.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem, great!!!