MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I bought a used mac mini on ebay, it seemed to go through a

Customer Question

I bought a used mac mini on ebay, it seemed to go through a typical new computer setup when i first turned it on, it has my name under the Mac OS X login screen (it says Craig Phillips's Mac mini, but I cannot log in. I thought that I used my email address and "normal" password XXXXX nothing is working. I have an OS X startup disk from another mac (brand new imac from the office) and tried booting holding the "C" key but nothing happens, keeps going to the login screen. Can you help me reset (or learn) the user Id and password? There will be only one user for this computer.

Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.

MacTechTrainer : Hello and thank you for asking your question, with am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.
MacTechTrainer : I have just the process for you:
MacTechTrainer : Here is a procedure you can use, to help you get a user account when you are locked out of your User Admin Account. -RESETTING ADMIN PASSWORD Without USING MAC OS X INSTALL DISC-To reset your OS X password without an Mac OS X CD or DVD (for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard),you will need to enter what is called "Single User Mode" and create a New Administrator Account. Once you have created a new account, you will then take that account and remove the locked User Administrator account, but keep all of the files of that account.So here is what you will need to do:• Reboot your Mac• Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.(This will take you into Single User Mode)• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands (below) to create a brand new Admin account. Now take notice- when you see the "(space)" in between the lines, DO NOT type (space) as listed on each line. I placed that indicator there as a note for you to, simply click the space bar on your keyboard and to continue typing the rest of that line as you see it. Make sure you press the Return key after typing out each line of commands. mount(space)-uw(space)/ rm(space)/var/db/.AppleSetupDone shutdown(space)-h(space)nowAfter rebooting you should have a brand new Administrator account.**When you login as the to the new User Administrator Account. You would then have to delete the user account you are locked out of -- but do not be alarmed. • What is going to happen next, is when you delete that locked User Admin account, Mac OS X allows you the option to delete the user account you are locked out from, but will allow you to save all the files of that locked user account. MAKE SURE TO READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY- this way you don't choose the wrong path. (Not to worry however, in this process, the screen will advise of your options, so it will not be difficult to discern which step to proceed to next.)• When you do delete that user account yet, keep the files of that account, you can now go into your Macintosh HD icon on your desktop and select the Users folder.• In that Users folder, check the folder entitled "Deleted Users" and you will see your deleted user account now as: <username.dmg>• To access those files, simply double click that .dmg file and you will not have access to all of your previous files, folders and applications.And that is the procedure.Let me know if this helps!Regards,-Terry
Customer :

it wont let me type anything

Customer :

I don't understand, I cannot type any of this stuff on the screen, curser does not move, how do I know when to hit return (what indicates a line of commands)?

Customer :

I have the black and white screen the curser is under a line that ends with: start booting in single user...will wait for window Server. I removed the OS X start up disc from the unit.

Customer :

Now what? Not responsive, please do not charge my account. I will dispute it.

I am still here, just let me know if these instructions make sense for you or if you need more detail.

Thanks, I will watch for your reply.