Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have created an iphoto 08 V.7.1.5 slideshow and would like

Customer Question

I have created an iphoto '08 V.7.1.5 slideshow and would like to download this to a flash drive to play on my slide projector, an Epson EX7200. How can I do this, please? Thank you very much. My presentation is coming up soon!

McMinnville OR
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Select the Slideshow in iPhoto and click the Export button in the bottom right, of iPhoto window or click on Share menu and select Export.

This will bring the Export window with several settings. They include Mobile, Medium, Large, Display etc. Since you are going to present it in the projector, select Display as it has higher resolution. Click Export button in there and export the Slideshow. After exporting, you'll get the Slideshow as Video file and you can move it to the flash drive and play it on projector. Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We tried this twice, and both times the screen shows a "No File". Can you help/ Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Were you able to export the slideshow as Movie file ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the USB drive contains the slideshow using Quick Time Movie, v. 7. When inserted directly
to the Epson EX7200 the screen gives a "No File" message. The same drive when inserted into
our iMAC does show the slideshow content when opened. The Epson does allow a USB drive to
be played directly. Other USB drives we have will display in this manner, but their content was
not made with the iPhoto slideshow software. Very strange. Hope you have an answer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
It seems like your Projector isn't recognizing the file type. Select Slideshow and click Export. In the Export window click Custom Export button. From the next window, click Movie to MPEG-4 in Export: dropd down menu and click Save. Try to play that video in your Projector. Let me know if that didn't worked, so we can try some other format.

Only click accept after we solved the problem...

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
If that didn't worked too, then you can convert the Quicktime video to MP4 or AVI Format with this converter, MPEG StreamClip. Download it from here :

Open MPEG StreamClip application and import the first video you've exported from iPhoto, to MPEG Stream Clip (File > Open/Import). Then click on File menu and select Export/Convert to MP4 and after that try Export/Convert to AVI. Move the exported/converted MP4 and AVI to flash drive and see if your projector recognize any of the formats. Let me know if that didn't worked...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your first reply to change the format says "In the Export window click Custom Export button.
Then click Movie to MPEG-4. I can't find a Custom Export button. My Export window (under the File tab) simply
provides an Export button that when selected immediately starts the export. I try your other
suggestions on changing format after I hear back from you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Ahh..This is iPhoto 08, there is no option like that in iPhoto 08. It is for iPhoto 09. Sorry my mistake..Try my second suggestion and see if that works or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have downloaded Streamclip and converted to MPEG 4 and to AVI.
Inserting to the Epson directly resulted in the same "No File" display.

I should mention that "plan B" is having the slideshow downloaded to our laptop
connected to the projector. With the slideshow on the laptop we can view it through the
projector. That, of course, is using the iPhoto installed on the MACBOOK laptop.

Can't understand why the USB with the slideshow from iPhoto still won't play through the
projector. I could try burning a disc of the slideshow, but then that would simply be played
through the laptop again.

Any thoughts?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...Did you tried Plan B ? Did you ever played slideshow on your Projector from USB ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have used Plan B. I transferred the slideshow from the iMAC to the MacBook using a
USB flash drive on to its iPhoto '08 program. It played on the MacBook. Then I cabled it
to the Epson projector. That also will work. I should mention that the transfer was made
using the same flash drive that comes up "No File" in the I assume their is
nothing wrong with the flash drive itself.

I have run other slideshows using USB flash drive plugged directly into the projector successfully,
but these shows were not created on iPhoto ( one was with Keynote and another used FotoMagico).

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me the file format of those videos you created from Keynote, Fotomagic etc ?

So we'll understand what format does your projector uses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Keynote is an Apple program. All the photos are in jpeg format. I don't know what
video format Keynote uses, but likely nothing oddball. The FotoMagico software
is a sophisticated slideshow program made for Apple and accepts several formats
including MPEG 4 and Quicktime.

I thought it might be worth a try to download the iPhoto slideshow on to a new flash drive.
Perhaps the drive I have been using has some sort of conflict in its coding?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I know Keynote is a Apple program..but i need to know how you transferred the Keynote slideshow to your flash drive. Did you exported the Keynote slideshow to a video like we did on your iPhoto ?

Have you ever played any videos on your projector through/from flash drive ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not played any videos on the projector.
I don't remember just how the Keynote show was exported. Nothing fancy,
just selecting the show and exporting it to the drive.

I have now exported the slideshow to a new drive and got the same result of "No File"
display in the projector.

I suspect this is an Epson problem more than it is an Apple problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked your Projector Settings for any video configuration from USB ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
And are you sure your projector is capable of playing videos from USB ? I checked the product review and noticed that it can play only slideshows and pictures. It doesn't indicated anything about videos...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've been reading through the projector manual
and find that the projector can show movies through various video equipment using the
right connector cable, but movies cannot be played through a USB drive. So, your concern
is verified. The manual says to convert the individual images to JPEG files, save to a folder,
and then export to a USB drive. Another words, forget using the slideshow feature of iPhoto
if it uses a movie format to display.

The problem with this approach is image ID will be retained forcing all the photos back into
sequence they were made originally and not how arranged for the slideshow. Is there a way
to renumber the photos for the USB slideshow so they maintain the order I wish to show them
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You probabily have to rename them manually and put it on your flash drive.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, that's going to take some time given 225 images to rename. I think we have gone as
far as we can with this exchange. I don't understand why Apple in iPhoto can't provide
greater flexibility so that a slideshow can be shown as a simple sequence and not a movie.
Maybe later editions would correct this limitation?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
iPhoto is not a application you use to create slideshows. It is a image editing/managing application comes with Mac OS X. iPhoto allow you to create slideshow-movies that can be played on TVs, Computers, DVD Players etc.

iPhoto won't create ORIGINAL slideshows/presentations like PowerPoint or Keynote do...Next time, you can create the Slideshow in Keynote or other application like Open Office ( or NeoOffice (

I don't think latest editition will remove this limitation because iPhoto will remain as image editing/managing application. Also, You know Apple have its own dedicated Slideshow application, Keynote.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Lesson learned.

Thanks for you assistance in working through our problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
No Problem....

Have a great day...