Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

i am receiving the message below. I have purchased music from

i am receiving the message below. I have purchased music from the apple store and have it in itunes, but if I say yes, it erases everything on my phone to get the music.
How do i get around this? I have 2 apple accounts as when I installed mobileme it set me up as another account and I have been told that I cannot merge the 2 accounts

The iphone Ken's iphone is synced with another itunes library. Do you want to erase this iphone and sync with this itunes library
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

You can have multiple devices in iTunes but only one iTunes Library per device.
What that means is if you sync it on a different machine that means it is a different iTunes Library and the result is what you are experiencing.

There is no way around it other than to carry the iTunes library around on an external drive of some kind and opening iTunes into that library.

That is how that works.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan,

My itunes library in on one computer ony and I sync my iphone with that computer only

I did get a new computer and install itunes and downloaded the music that I had purchased from apple to the new itunes on the new computer and continued to sync with that computer only, but i haev not been able to get the music onto my phone

Is there something I should have done at the point tin time when I got the new computer?

It seems crazy that I have paid for music from apple and are unable to access it even though I only sync with the one computer

More thoughts please, there must be something that I can do

Regards,

Ken

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
How did you download the purchased music from Apple to the new iTunes on the new computer?
Apple only allows one download of purchased music except under very special circumstances.
You can, however, transfer purchased music via a CD backup, you also need to authorize that new computer to play that music. That means that even though you think is synced to your iphone it may not have.
Did you authorize the new computer in iTunes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan,

All of the music was iniatally downloaded to my phone, when I changed computers I contacted apple and they let me download once only my old music to itunes

Since having the new computer I have puchased more music and it also shows up in itunes. This music was on m y phone until 3 weeks ago when I had to get a new phone after dropping and breaking the screen. The new phone was resynced with itunes and all my apps came back, mobileme retuned all the contacts and appointments, but my latest music since gettign the new computer did not sync in.

The new compuer was and is the only computer that I have authorized

How do I transfer purchased music via a CD backup?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If you had not transferred new music from the broken phone to iTunes prior to having it replaced then your only recourse is to contact Apple and have them authorize a download of that particular music.
Is that the case?
As for transferring the music from the old computer to the new via CD simply burn it and then import it. As long as the account info didn't change then the music will not be a problem. If however you do not or cannot do this the above is my suggestion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK,

No, I was able to sync the old phone with itunes before replacing with he new phone and that music is now in itunes.Now we are back at my original question

The music is in itunes on my computer that is the only computer that is authorized and that I sync with

So you hit on what may be my problem. My iphone has 2 accounts. One was the original and one was added when I set up a mobileme account. I perceived this as a possible problem and asked apple if the 2 accounts could be merged. They said no.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Not yet but they are working on doing that. I also have two iTunes accounts and have purchases on both. The way I got around that was sign in using both (one at a time) and authorizing it.
Now I have no issues using purchased content from either account on my mobile devices.
Try authorizing both accounts in iTunes.
May fix it, that is how I did it.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.