Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

Outlook 2011 Mac opens and closes immediately thereafter with

Customer Question

Outlook 2011 Mac opens and closes immediately thereafter with the message that an error occurred.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.

Toby K. :

Try this and let's me if it works or not.

1. Press the Shift key and then click the Outlook icon on the Dock. This prevents Outlook from sending or receiving mail.

2. Quit Outlook.

3. Open Outlook.

Toby K. :

Also have you restarted your Mac recently? Go to the Apple menu, and press Restart

Toby K. :

if you haven't done that, I recommend doing that first.

Customer :

Toby,

Toby K. :

yes

Customer :

Ihave done what you suggested and the problem is unchanged.

Toby K. :

ok, this one is a bit more advanced. The Outlook database and data records are stored in the Office 2011 Identities folder. By moving the folder to the desktop, Outlook will automatically create a new database. If Outlook opens without a problem, we will have to troubleshoot the Outlook database.

1. Quit all applications.

2. In Finder, select the Go menu, click Home.

3. Open Documents, and then open Microsoft User Data.

4. Drag Office 2011 Identities to the desktop.

5. Open Outlook.

Customer :

After step 1, Outlook 2011 does not close anymore; however after theps 2 and 3 and restart, the problem is the same.

Toby K. :

to close, you press Command-Q

Toby K. :

it should quit the app

Toby K. :

did you want to try that first suggestion again?

Customer :

I will proceed with troubleshooting the Outlook database as per your suggestions above.

Customer :

Outlook stays open after step 5.

Toby K. :

so press the Command and Q keys at the same time

Toby K. :

let me know if it closes

Customer :

Yes, it closes.

Toby K. :

ok, great

Toby K. :

open it up and let me know what happens

Customer :

It opens, stays open and is nice and empty.

Toby K. :

k, so its a problem with the identity datbase

Customer :

May be there is a way to repair the old outlook database?

Toby K. :

close outlook

Toby K. :

and then put the folder back on your desktop back in the Office 2011 Indentities folder

Toby K. :

1. In Finder, select the Go menu, click Home.

2. Open Documents, and then open Microsoft User Data.

Customer :

Done

Toby K. :

great

Toby K. :

1. Open the Microsoft User Data folder.

2. Control-click or right-click the Office 2011 identities folder, and then select Duplicate. (A copy of the folder should be created.)

Toby K. :

let me know when your done with that

Customer :

Done the duplicate has been created.

Toby K. :

k good

Toby K. :

Let's rebuild the database.

1. Quit all applications.

2. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then start Outlook 2011.

3. In the Database Utility window, select the database that you want to maintain, and then click Rebuild.

4. The Rebuilding Main Identify window will open and show the progress. When the operation is completed, you will receive the message "Your database was rebuilt successfully."

5. Click Done.

Toby K. :
    Toby K. :

how's it going?

Customer :

Done. What is next?

Toby K. :

close that and reopen outlook to see it worked

Toby K. :

if not, the final step is creating a new indentity unfortunately

Toby K. :

any luck?

Toby K. :

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you

Toby K. :

:)

Customer :

The problem is the same as before.

Toby K. :

ok, yeah, then it could not rebuild the database to make it useable so you will have to just create a new identity and start over

Toby K. :

1. Quit all applications.

2. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then click the Outlook icon in the dock. The Microsoft Database Utility will open.

3. Click the plus [+] sign to add a new identity, and then type a name for the new identity. For example, type New identity.
      Set the newly create identity as the default. To do this, select the newly created identity, click the Action button (gear looking icon), and then select Set as Default.
      4.Quit the Microsoft Database Utility, and then restart Outlook and see whether the problem is resolved.

Toby K. :

This problem happens more than you think...it's a shame though. Another option would be to use Thunderbird as your email client. Not sure if you are a big Outlook fan (alot of people are) or not.

Toby K. :

Or Mail

Toby K. :

but you probably want the calendaring

Customer :

Now I remember I have had this before. The big issue is that you loose the history of your correspondance, so I will move to some other program. Thanks.

Toby K. : Thunderbird and Mac Mail work well so you do have options.