Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

My MacBook Air does not type capital z using shift z. It

Customer Question

My MacBook Air does not type capital z using 'shift z'. It will type a captal Z only using the caps lock. I checked speech or universal access to keyboard keys and that is not the problem. I cloned the Macbook air from a MacBook pro with the same problem. I am ready to clone to a 3rd Macbook air as I have run out of harddrive space and do not want to repeat this error.
Thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I would suggest to you: Do not clone it, the problem is obviously in the user account and not hardware related. You have proven that by stating it came with the cloning.

Start fresh with a blank OS, install all applications and only restore data. Leave all System Preferences and settings behind, this will leave the problem behind also.
I had to do this on my iMac, not an upgrade but my main machine, developed an issue similar to yours. The only fix was all new installation of everything but data.
iTunes, movies, photos, documents and whatnot all restored group by group.
Still finding things I missed but no more problem.

There it is, not the easy answer you wanted but an answer that is correct and that will work.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The 'expert' is basically restating what I had figured out already, which is not to clone the older system settings. He has not solved the mystery of the impossibility of keying capital Z on the older systems. He presents it as a solution and is misleading not just me but the entire system of JustAnswer.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I said you wouldn't like the answer. I don't know what you expected but magic is something we don't do here.
As for tracking down where the problem is in the user account is an exercise in futility.
You are welcome to realist but do not smear my name with false accusations.