Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

my imac wont start from the hard disc and I want to save my

Customer Question

my imac wont start from the hard disc and I want to save my files before formating and reinstalling OS.How can i access my files when starting up from installation disc?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.

Toby K. :

When you said it won't start up from the hard drive, could you tell me exactly what happens? Thanks

Customer :

Hey Toby,when i start up I just get the apple logo with a running bar at the bottom that goes away after a while and then nothing happens?

Toby K. :

Have you tried booting off the Install DVD and run the disk utility?

Customer :

yes- but cant repair disc

Toby K. :

did you try safe mode?

Customer :

safe mode?

Customer :

how do you access safe mode?

Toby K. :

Power off the mac, press the power button, and immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key once you see the Apple logo

Customer :

ok will try that now

Toby K. :

ok

Customer :

what startup disc should be used for safe mode-the HD or installation disc?

Toby K. :

HD

Toby K. :

and it might take awhile...if there is something wrong, it will try and correct it

Customer :

ok-restarting now

Toby K. :

k

Customer :

how long should I wait?

Toby K. :

its really hard to say

Toby K. :

there really is no determination

Toby K. :

because it really depends on how bad things are

Toby K. :

could be 5 minutes...could be an hour

Toby K. :

Just keep an eye on it...and if the screen changes, reply back to me

Customer :

it is doin what it did before-with the waiting bar-so I must just wait?

Toby K. :

if its been going for an hour, reply back to as well

Toby K. :

unfortunately, we have to wait to see if it goes past it

Toby K. :

how old is this imac?

Customer :

1 year

Toby K. :

applecare?

Customer :

not sure what that is?

Toby K. :

It's Apple 3 year protection plan

Toby K. :

you would have purchased it when you bought it

Toby K. :

$169 extra

Customer :

yeah i did not get that when I bought

Toby K. :

is this older than year?

Customer :

probably should have!

Toby K. :

it comes with a 1yr warranty

Toby K. :

i would try and verify it here (just in case you might have) https://selfsolve.apple.com/

Toby K. :

doesnt hurt to check

Toby K. :

because it's a possibility this HD has gone bad

Customer :

cool will check-hope its not that bad-had no hassles till the day it would not start up!

Toby K. :

k, lets let run and just reply back to this chat if anything changes

Customer :

ok

Toby K. : Did it ever come back up?
Customer :

hi-no it did not come back up!

Customer :

it ran for about 3 hrs and nothing?

Toby K. :

Well since you've run Disk Utility already and we try to run safe mode, it sounds like the hard drive has either gone bad physically or the filesystem is beyond repair and needs to reinstalled. It sounds like the HD has gone bad. Use those links I sent you earlier to figure out if you Mac is still under warranty and see if you have an Apple store near to take it to for repair.

Customer : Hey Toby
Toby K. :

yes