MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

my aol mail is not showing up on my email client (Apple Mail

my aol mail is not showing up on my email client (Apple Mail program). Some of it is and some of it isn't.

Some of it is showing up 4 - 12 hours later.

How can we solve this issue?

Lynn
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
------------------------------------------------------------------------
That issue is relative to AOL's POP (Or incoming mail servers).
When you access your AOL account using Apple's Mac OS X Mail, the mail application pulls your emails from AOL's direct Incoming mail servers
so if there is a delay in your mail, there may be an issue with either the service from AOL's servers directly or it may be from the Mac OS Mail application.

To work to remedy this, you can try one of two options or both:

1.) Use Safari (or Firefox if you prefer) and access your AOL via AOL's main webmail page.
-Check the times of the incoming mail in your mail box to see if they are up to date.
- Match the incoming mail in your AOL email account listed in your your open Mac OS X Mail application.

If the time stamps for the recent mail are the same, then that is the issue right there and that means there is a latency from AOL's servers at this time.

2.) The other option is to remove the AOL mail from your Mac OS X Mail.
-Then before re-adding your AOL mail, run this repair process from within your Mac OS X desktop first:

-RUN DISK UTILITY FIRST-

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"

*Let Disk Utility run this repair permissions until completion

Once Disk Utility is complete and there are no errors in red in the completion summary (if there are errors listed in red, re-run DU to see if those error will clear- if they don't reply back to this post right away and let me know what the exact error message is), quit Disk Utility.

• Now open Mail back up and re-add your AOL email account.
Once your AOL email has been re-added, check your most recent mail's time stamps to see if they are more current than before.

If they are still the same as the open webmail account, again, this is an issue with AOL's Incoming (POP) mail servers and you may have to alert them about this, so they can check your account from within.

If neither of these methods don't help, then my final recommendation is to click the link below and download AOL's own email client, AOL Desktop for Mac
Link: http://daol.aol.com/software/desktop-for-mac/
(Just copy and paste the link into your web browser and press Enter)

This a very good alternative actually- I have it and I use it exclusively for my AOL accounts only because I have not had too good success (personally and speaking only for myself) with the AOL to Mac OS X Mail relation.

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

Be sure to bookmark this page in your web browser, so you can return to it, in the event you have to reboot your computer or leave from this session for a period of time.

Until then will be watching for your next reply.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Terry -

Appreciate your answer.

1. Can you and I talk in person? or does it all have to be done on email?
2. Some email comes in at near identical time in both Apple and Aol, and some do not show up at all...or many hours later.
3.How do you remove the AOL mail from my Mac OS X Mail?
Thanks for your reply.

1.) With JustAnswer.com, our communication with you is via chat or email.

2.) The fact the emails come in to near to identical times to sometimes not at all is an indicator, there is something going on from AOL's server side.

3.) In regards XXXXX XXXXX AOL from your Mac OS X Mail, copy and paste this link below, into your web browser and press enter. This page will provide you simple but detailed steps for cleanly removing AOL from your Mac OS X Mail client application:

Link: http://www.askdrtech.com/solutions/post/Removing-an-email-account-in-Mail-%28Mac-OS-X-v105-or-later%29.aspx

Let me know if this helps.

I look forward to your next update as necessary.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
RE #2 - because the symptoms are as stated, you say there is something going on from AOL's server side. SO: how does this get fixed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

RE #2 - because the symptoms are as stated, you say there is something going on from AOL's server side.

SO: how does this get fixed?
Thanks for asking for clarification, forgive me for not making myself clearer.

What I meant by that is, whenever there are delays with the same emails on both webmail and through application clients like Mac OS X Mail, you will find that the issue is usually not with your computer or your network,but with your service provider.

Sometimes, the issue may be specific to your account or it could be a system-server wide issue that is impacting many AOL users. That is why I was recommending you contact AOL Support, to confirm if they are having any issues with their Incoming mail servers because it is impacting your account both via online at their webmail site and through a third-party email client in the same way as far as delay in mail reception to no mail at all.

I hope this clarifies this for you better.

If it does not, just let me know.

Thanks for your questions, your patience and for allowing me to assist you thus far.

-Terry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks again...I'm going to contact AOL support to see their answer...will see if that solves my problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes indeed, it is an AOL email issue...been going on for a week...my problem will be "escalated" on their list and be solved ASAP.

Thank you Terry for your help. To save time, next time I will go straight to AOL support...to save your time and mine.
Oh no, don't hesitate to come to us with issues like this, even AOL issues.

There have been cases where I have been able to answer AOL questions without referring a customer back to AOL. In this case, for example, I had no choice, because the issue you are having with your email delays is coming directly from the source (AOL) as opposed to your computer or network. That is the only reason I cannot go further, because I don't of course have AOL access like that.

So again, don't rule out coming to us again, for any technical issues you have- not all questions are cause us to refer you back to the service provider or manufacturer like this.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are most helpful and courteous!

I am assuming because I agreed to pay for your services, that, despite the problem was with AOL, that I am still obligated to pay for your "answers".

I have no problem with it...just checking to be sure.

Again many thanks!
Not at all- That is the beauty of JustAnswer.com.

All you did was submit a deposit to ask your question and until you actually press the "Accept" on your window for any of my questions, you have not paid for an answer yet, just placed a deposit.

So no, you are not obligated to pay, especially if you have any reason to believe that your question was not answered. It really is a matter of choice.

That is why JustAnswer.com IS so customer-friendly, we work for giving you answers, but how well we do or if the objective has been accomplished, all depends on how YOU feel :)

Hope that helps!

Best of success when you contact AOL on this issue.

AND ONE MORE THING:

If you would like to have your deposit returned back to your credit card, here is what you need to do:

As a MacExperts, we cannot personally process a request for a refund of your deposit or payment. However, I can definitely provide the information you need to expedite your request.

All you need to do is contact JustAnswer Customer Service via email; XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I hope this helps and I do appreciate you allowing us to attempt to assist you with your question.

Please be sure to visit us again if you have another Mac technical issue you require assistance with.

Best Regards,

-Terry
("Mactechtrainer")
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years