Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a G5 that is about 7years old. I need to update it so

I have a G5 that is about 7years old. I need to update it so I can use updated software. I've seen an update package for sale at the apple store. Is this all I need? What else?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean by hardware specs? It's a G5 iMac...what else do you need to know?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ram, processor speed etc. Click on Apple icon and select About This. Mac, click More Info. You can find the details in there....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1
Serial Number: W85330UZSDY
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can upgrade your Mac OS X into 10.5 Leopard, but not into 10.6 Snow Leopard or later. Buy the 10.5 Leopard installation discs, put it to your Mac and follow onscreen instructions to upgrade your Mac.

You can buy the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard from online stores like Amazon.com, eBay.com etc. I'd recommend to buy it from Amazon.com as you'll get genuine product from them.

Leopard supports most of all applications...Let me know if you have any questions. Only click Accept if you are satisfied...

PS : You can check the current version of Mac OS X you are using from Apple > About This Mac.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the reason I can't upgrade to snow leopard 6? and isn't there even a newer operating system?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.6 and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion requires a Mac with Intel Processor. You Mac is based on Power PC processor and not Intel.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc