Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have many iPhoto albums. All are manually arranged, but one

Customer Question

I have many iPhoto albums. All are manually arranged, but one album does not keep my arrangement. Every time I shut down the computer, this one funky album comes up with about 20 images at the end moved to the beginning.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,

The Version 10.6.8
Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

After clicking on Verify Disk I received the following message:
"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disk), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

My latest installation disk is OS X Snow Leopard. This thing I won't touch with a 10' pole. When a consultant installed it (perhaps 18 months ago) I lost tons of data in virtually every program. It cost me more than $2,000 in consultation fees to repair the damage and partially recover the lost data. The fist consultant threw in the towel, the second consultant was seriously stumped but got me running again.

So where does this leave us?

Ernst
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then the "consultant" did not know what he/she was doing to be blunt. You ARE running Snow Leopard.... 10.6.8 IS Snow Leopard.

Put the Snow Leopard disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tend to agree with you. The first consultant was incompetent. That's why I needed to switch. But nevertheless, I'm still not 100% recovered from the damage that upgrade caused. So, I'm reluctant in putting this "funky" DVD in. I hope you understand that I don't want to go through that experience again. Don't we have an alternative?

Ernst
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No you have to use that disk, sorry, I don't understand what the problem is it is already installed?? Of course you should have a backup at all times anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Snow Leopard is installed, and it was the biggest mistake I ever made on my computer. It wrecked not only my computer with huge amounts of data loss, but also disabled my printer, scanner, camera, Logic music software, etc. It was a total nightmare. The efforts the 2nd consultant had to perform were horrendous. $2,000 in fees did not come from nothing. I'm ready to throw that disk in the trash, and if necessary buy another computer. I'm sorry, this is not a pretty picture.

Ernst
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but as I said that is not the fault of Apple, in fact that is the most trouble free upgrade I have encountered in 25 years but of course you have to do your homework first. You have to use that disk to try and repair so what do you want to do? If you don't have a backup I would do that first.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I have to sign off soon can we continue tomorrow or is this time critical?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tomorrow is fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK come back any time after 10 am CT bookmark this page, thanks. We wil fix it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've bookmarked the page, but my availability is very sporadic since my house is under construction.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem I can work around your schedue.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you are ready the question will time out and I won’t be able to get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can we work on it tomorrow? I had a crazy day today.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course come back when ready.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Anytime after 10 am CT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. But tomorrow I have installations of audio, TV, + finishing of heating. Construction is a bit of a nightmare.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem if the question times out I can’t get back to you but you ca always get back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great! There is this likelihood we may have to work this way.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem. You can also Accept now and still come back at no extra charge, FYI.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will come back, but let me know when the question times out.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I won’t be able to do that it is not an exact thing but usually a day or two. Talk to you then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My iPhoto problem is not fixed. Unfortunately, this consultation has taken a turn that I did not expect. I will never touch the Snow Leopard disk again, it caused me $2,000 of damage and immense, irreplaceable data loss. The consultant that fixed my computer in 2 full days (+ travel) also warned me against it. At this stage, I'm in limbo and I'm not clear what course of action to take. He is looking into the matter but has not come up with an answer. I'm very sorry about this difficult situation. I wish I had an easier solution.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you or did you not boot from the system disk and do as I suggested?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I did not and I don't think I will. If there is no other way to fix the problem, I'll live with. So far, I'm undecided.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you can't follow my suggestions then there is no point in continuing. Good luck.