Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Netgear N ADSL2 + Modem Router DGN 2000 Security 16333420,

Customer Question

My Netgear N ADSL2 + Modem Router DGN 2000 Security 16333420, Serial 20X197B300900 MAC 0024B2436952 allows my 2 PCs to operate emails etc without any problems. Recently I purchased an Amazon Kindle. This recognises the network but cannot use the wifi network password. Amazon Helpline suggest a MAC filter may be enabled and is preventing this connection and that you may assist with stopping this filter operating.
Peter Fishbourne
01NNN-NN-NNNN
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Open your internet browser and goto http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. Either one of the address will be your router's address and this will open router configuration window. The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password XXXXX “password” (without quotes)

In there click on Wireless Settings pane or option and you can turn off Mac Filtering in there. Also, change your Security to WPA/WAP2 if it is set to WPE.

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks but it is no go - the login window will only accept my email address and will not accept the 'password' default password XXXXX any AOL password. I want to get it to accept your 'default' username & password

Peter

PS am off to lunch for 30 minutes

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Don' try the email or its password. Use this username and password

Username : admin
Password : password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the prompt accepts 'admin' but not 'password' - eventually I get 'System Authentication Failed - please contact system administrator'.

When the prompt opens in the username window there is a small picture and a drop down memu which opens with my email address - I have typed 'admin' in the space (not my email address). In the password XXXXX I have put 'password' but only get a failure each time.

Can you get into my router configeration and change the filter for me?

Will it help if I try to reconfigure using the second PC in my house? I think the original configaration was done rfrom this one

Peter

Peter

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Someone must have changed the password..the one i given to your is the default username and password.

Sorry i can't access your PC. JustAnswer won't allow me to do it..Even if i could, i will not be able to configure since the default username/password XXXXX XXXXX working.

You can try the username and password XXXXX below;

Username : Password

admin : admin

(blank) : (blank)

admin : (blank)

(blank) : admin

admin : password

Anything worked ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well done - admin:admin worked.

from the Summary page I went into Wireless then into Advanced where in the Security menu I 'disabled'. On my way back I received a security message saying the 'no' security in incoming contacts. Is this just in the router or have my other security filters been turned off?

I do some online banking - will this be 'safe' having disabled the Netgear 'Mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2+PSK' Please advise.

I shall now try the Kindle again and subject to getting this working will sign off the Acceptance.

Peter

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Nooo.....Don't disable it. Why do you want to jeopardize your network ? When you disable it, every device connected to the network is vulnerable to attacks. Everything on your computer, phone, kindle can be accessed by others...I DON'T recommend it.

Change the Security to WPA2 or anything related to it. Then use the password XXXXX get from there. Only click Accept after we solved the problem.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - the Kindle is now registered and Netgear Security has been revised. You were very efficient but I was slow .... but I am 71.

Peter

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome ! I'm glad you got it worked....