John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

is it possible to request a return receipt on a mac email

is it possible to request a "return receipt" on a mac email? Meaning i will be notified when they receive a message.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

What version of OS X are you running, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm new to Mac...where do i find that info
No problem, if you click on the Apple logo in the menubar and choose "About This Mac" you should see the version listed. It may appear as "Version 10.5.8" or as "OS X Lion 10.7" or similar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8
Okay great.

OS X's Mail.app has no "official" support for return receipt requests. You can, however, enable partial support for outgoing email but the application will never respond to requests sent to you.

If you wish to enable support for outgoing emails, you can do the following:

Quit Mail.

Click on the Desktop so the Finder's menubar appears at the top.

In the menubar click on "Go" and then "Utilities"

In the Finder window that opens, locate "Terminal" and run it.

Copy/Paste or type the following into Terminal (all on one line):

defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders ‘{“Disposition-Notification-To” = “YOUR-EMAIL-ADDRESS”; }’

(Replace YOUR-EMAIL-ADDRESS in the text above with your complete email address.)

Hit enter.

You can now close Terminal and restart Mail.

If you should ever wish to disable this, open Terminal again and copy/paste in the following:

defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders

...and it will return to normal behavior.

Hopefully, that answers your questions. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited with helping you today. If you continue to have concerns or questions on this topic, feel free to reply back and I will be happy to assist you!

Thanks,

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry