John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

my imac startup with flashing question mark

Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 5 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

If you reboot and hold down the OPTION key does it list your hard drive as an available boot device?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, do you have an OS X Boot CD handy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, i have the mac os x and snow leopard cd
Okay, choose the newest of the two, if they are both boot CD's.

Please note: You are paying for expert advice, time spent, and information only. When troubleshooting computer issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer / solution’ may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”.

Insert the CD and boot from this disc.

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility, choose your hard drive from the listing in the left sidebar

Click the button to Verify Disk. If it finds errors, click Repair Disk.

Repeat the process until there are no more errors detected.

Then click Repair Disk Permissions.

When finished, restart your Mac and hold down the OPTION key to choose your hard drive.

When back at the desktop, you can eject the CD and put it away.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for assisting you today. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this ticket. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects that must be physically repaired (obviously, not my fault), loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website. It would be unprofessional to sugar-coat a solution and I show my respect by being upfront with you. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they is no hard drive detect and only show media hard drive
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's unfortunate. What model of iMac do you have exactly? (if you are unsure, tell me the year you purchased it)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
imac 24/2.8/2G/320GB in 2009

please try the following:

Shut down the imac

Unplug the iMacs's power cord

Wait 15-30 seconds

Plug the iMacs's power cord back in

Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button and see if there is any improvement.

If there is no improvement, it is likely this is a hard drive failure and it will need to be physically serviced. If you need help locating an authorized service center I can assist you in locating one. If you have an extended AppleCare warranty this should go through Apple directly in most cases.