robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

i have a bunch of music I downloaded from itunes on a playlist

i have a bunch of music I downloaded from itunes on a playlist i want to put on disc. I need to put them on in an MP3 format but initially was told they could not be transferred because they were not in MP3 format. I researched it and found the steps to convert my playlist to MP3. The computer said it was converting all the songs but when I try to burn them to a cd in MP3 I am still being told they are not in MP3. HELP
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 2 years ago.
Hi, when you tell your computer to "convert" it actually makes an MP3 version and keeps the old version, are you noticing that when you make the conversion?

What you need to do ismake sure you get all the mp3 versions after the conversion, let me know if this makes sense and I can help you figure out what version it is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I suspected that but what do I do to be sure I get the MP# XXXXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MP3 that is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is this going to take a long time, your ad said you were live......
hi yes, i check every 5-10 minutes for new messages. i'm here.

okay so at the top of all the columns you'll see names for everything, the album name, the time, the artist things like that.

right click at the top on those names and you'll get a list of everything it can include. one of those options is "kind" ... this will tell you what kind of media the songs are.

with this, you should be able to make a playlist of solely mp3's so you can burn this disc!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean and I do not have a right click....it's a mac so how does one right click and exactly where do you mean
here's an example for you click the link to the picture below.

on a mac, hold control and then click to "right" click.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I do that in the 'kind' column all I get is 'purchased AA...'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay so if I select 'music' and not my playlist I get purchased AA and 'mpeg audio file'. Is mpeg mp3? Why is this only showing if I select 'music' but not my playlist. Do I need to make a new playlist with the mpeg ones?
yep you got it!

make the playlist with the mpeg ones...which as you guess, do mean mp3!

you should be all set with that! make sure the playlist os all mpeg (mp3) and you can burn

let me know if that doesn't work and i'll make sure to follow up.
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience: 2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay got that but now the disc I had in there won't eject....WTF!
that sounds like a separate issue, try a restart, then the normal key to eject the disc, that should do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok got the disc.......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay so now the disc failed to burn because of a 'medium write' error.....???
that means the disc is either the wrong type, or it has scratches on it.

try another disc, or maybe you need another disc type, it should be CDR.

this has to do with another type of question, but we can talk about it here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried that and dics will not eject....this is getting a bit crazy. What does a 'medium write' issue indicate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is CD-R and it will not eject now! It is a brand new disc.
hmm some brands don't agree well with certain burners, but this could be a burner issue, or the brand discs you got. ... once a disc has write errors it usually is flaky with how it responds, i would try another restart and eject.

sorry you're having these other issues, at least we got the original question handled.

i need to turn in for the night, if you respond i will promptly answer in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am still getting a 'medium write' error whenever I try to burn a disc now........what is that?
A medium write error indicates there is a problem with either your BURNER, or the DISC. Both physical items, so you have to possibly get your computer disc drive looked at, or buy a different type of discs to test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks. It may have been the discs although 4 of them would not work, the 5th and 6th ones worked fine.