OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have just purchased an iphone 4, i plugged it in to itunes

Customer Question

I have just purchased an iphone 4, i plugged it in to itunes and it started downloading an update, the update faild and now it won't do anything it is stuck with the apple logo on the screen it will not start, stop, finish uploading, talk to itunes anything, it is like a vegitable. where do I go from here
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

this is my first experience with iphones and this style of help forum,

Customer:

To be honest this thing is annoying me, what do I do with it?

OSXpert :

no worries, I'll walk you through some trouble shooting steps...

OSXpert :

To give you some background, it sounds like your iPhone only made it part way through a software update...

Customer:

Whenever your ready

Customer:

I'd agree with that

OSXpert :

to fix this, we'll put the iPhone into DFU mode, this will allow you to start back over with the software update and (hopefully :) complete it this time

Customer:

DFU Mode?

OSXpert :

Putting the phone into DFU mode can be a bit tricky, you have to have good timing when pushing the buttons on the top / face of the phone. Let me find a video for you, it will make it easier if you can see the process being done...

Customer:

ok

OSXpert :

..and yes, DFU, it stands for Deep Firmware Upgrade. It's sort of a fail safe mode that the phone can go into to facilitate software recovery

Customer:

not '"don't F*** up" mode

OSXpert :

haha

OSXpert :

check out this video, it will make DFU mode easier...

OSXpert :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

OSXpert :

watch the demonstration, then try putting your phone into DFU mode. Let me know how it goes, I'll be here waiting

Customer:

going to watch it now - will be back soon - i hope

OSXpert :

sounds good

OSXpert :

if you happen to leave this chat session, you can get back to it from the email that was sent you from justanswer.com

Customer:

I have seen the video - standby whilst i watch it again and then play along with it to see what happens.

OSXpert :

sounds good, keep me posted

Customer:

It's preparing to restore - I'm hoping this is the easiest $59 your going to earn.

OSXpert :

haha, well, I hope we can get this solved for you. I fully understand how frustrating the iPhone can be at times

Customer:

It would appear to be syncing with I tunes -appears to be doing it's thing naturally -I'm not holding my breath.

OSXpert :

good deal

OSXpert :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

You wouldn't read about it the power went out in the middle of the sync, not computer, lights, tv etc had to boil water on the stove.

Customer:

It has worked, the lot seems to be where it should be, now all I have to do is work out an easy quick way to load my contacts etc onto it.

Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.
Excellent, glad it worked for you. Let me know if you have any more questions about your contacts / information. Bummer about the power, but at least you're up and running.