Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I just bought an IPad and cant get it to work. My computer

I just bought an IPad and can't get it to work. My computer is MAC OS X 10.4.11 and says I need 10.5 or better how do I get software to bring computer up to that level so I can use the I Pad. My Iturnes is version 9.2.1 and I can't upgrade it unless computer is upgraded.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

iPad requires iTunes 10 or later and iTunes 10 requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Could you please give me the hardware info of your Mac ? like RAM, Processor etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where to find that information you need. Can you give me some idea of where to find it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sure, click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac, click More Info button. This should bring all the info about your Mac. Copy and paste all of them here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4
Serial Number: W87120XYVUV Hope this is what you need!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your Mac can handle the latest version of Mac OS X, i.e Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

You are now using Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger..To upgrade into Mac OS X 10.7 Lion ($29), you have to upgrade your Mac OS X to 10.6 Snow Leopard ($29) first.

To upgrade into 10.6 Snow Leopard, you have to buy the Snow Leopard installation discs. You can buy the Snow Leopard installation discs from BestBuy, ebay.com, Amazon.com etc

Upgrading is easy..when you get the discs, put it on your Mac and follow onscreen instructions to upgrade.Once you upgrade into 10.6 Snow Leopard, you can buy Mac OS X 10.7 directly from Snow Leopard's AppStore (yes, there is a AppStore in Snow Leopard) and install it. Your iPad will work both in Snow Leopard and in Lion too.

PS : You don't have to buy 10.5 Leopard...

Let me know if you have any questions..Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I am going out now to buy the discs I need. I will let you know when i get back how it goes. Once again, thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning, Ashik,

I finally got the snow leopard disc and updated everything, thank you for that. But I am having a problem setting up the email account on the ipad. The message I get is IMAP server is not responding for incoming mail server. I am very confused I copied it from my email account. Don't know what to do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Who is your email provider ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once again I am not too sharp when it comes to computers if you could guide me to where I find that info I wil get it for you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I meant who is your emai service provider ? Is it Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac.com?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac.com? Safari?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure ? Give me the suffix of your email address ? like @mac.com, @gmail.com etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
@mac.com
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Okay..its Mac. Can you try to add it again ? Follow the instructions in here : http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/mail/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am getting nowhere and am very frustrated I don't know what to do
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
This is a new question, you should post it as new question. Anyway, i will try to help you. In your iPad, tap Settings, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars. In there, select your Email and scroll to bottom and tap Delete Account. Then add your account again. Let me know if that didn't worked.

(only click accept if you are satisfied)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry do I accept answer and go on with new question?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No need to do, but if i couldn't solve your problem, you can post it as new question and other experts will get the question.

Did you tried my last suggestion ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I tapped mail, contacts, calendars and see nothing that you suggested all I see is add account. I don't see anything that allows me to select email and delete account. All I see is add account.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Then tap Add Account. Select Mobile Me, then enter your username and password. Let me know if that didn't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now it say verification failed. The internet connection appears to be offline.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you restart your iPad and try again. Also, goto www.me.com and try to login to your email from there. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to open it and there is nothing? Message says safari cannot open page because it is not connected to Internet.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your iPad isn't connected to internet, connect it to the WiFi network and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see it says WIFI on, but under settings it says not connected
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Follow the instructions in here to connect your iPad to your WiFi : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial163.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot get connected to WiFi. I am very upset. I am going to try to return the IPad. It is useless. I now cannot even use my printer because installing Snow Leopard knocked it out. The problems are getting even bigger.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You have to install latest drivers on your Snow Leopard to use your Printer.

Do you have WiFi on your home ? Can you try to connect to other WiFi networks ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I get that from "latest drivers"?

I have no idea if I have WiFi here, and I don't know where to connect to other WiFi networks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does your iPad shows any networks when you select WiFi ?

What is the model and make of your Printer ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Also, update your Softwares using Apple menu >Software Update
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I updated the software and it still doesn't allow me to use printer.

I also checked to see if we have wireless here at the house and the only thing I found was Ethernet, which I don't know what that is.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ethernet is cable connection, sounds like you don't have Wireless on your Mac. That is why you are unable to connect to internet or Mail on your iPad..Don't curse the iPad !!

Contact your ISP and ask them to arrange a Wireless connection, that should allow you to upgrade your Modem/Router to wireless one.

About your printer, what is the model and make of it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Who is and ISP? I have no idea. I know I am a pain but I am 68 years old and retired. I thought the IPad would make my life easier. Sorry for all the trouble.

HP Photosmart C6180 All in One.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
ISP is the Internet Service Provider. ISP is the one who provide internet service to your house. Yes, iPad does make your life easier...but it won't if you don't have the required resources (like WiFi)

Download and install the latest drivers for your Printer on your computer from here : http://tiny.cc/8vrxi

Restart your Mac and see if it works or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX my printer is now working. I have ordered a wireless modem from my phone company and it should be here in 2/3 days. They said it would support a Mac and if not I can return it.
Thank you agains for your patience and time. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No Problem..I'm glad you got it worked. All modems/routers are compatible with Macs...

If you like my service, please click Accept and leave me Positive Feedback.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc