Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

how come when i plug a flash drive into my macbook nothing

Customer Question

how come when i plug a flash drive into my macbook nothing happens-on my screen. there is a light on the drive
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Select the first icon in the Dock the Finder then go to the top left of the screen to Finder / Preferences / select the General tab and check all the boxes under Show these items on the Desktop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok- i did that and nothing happened. the box for external drive was already checked -should i have the drive plugged in as i do this?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No but I thought it was already plugged in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok- it is plugged in and all of the boxes are checked- now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok go to Applications / Utilities open Disk Utility do you see the flash drive on the left?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
generic flashdrive?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Select it on the left and then on the right at the bottom what does it say next to Format?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
after i selected that a window come up- it does not say format anywhere. it says repair at the top .
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what you are looking at the only Repair would be at the bottom??? see picture drive is selected and Format is at the bottom:

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the window looks like that- but does not say format
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok do you only need to use this on a Mac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i use mac primarily -i can't use it on that? i do have pc
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I meant do you want to use it on both or only the Mac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no just the mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok in Disk Utility select the drive and go to Erase tab choose Format / Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click on Erase you should then see it on the Desktop.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did that work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did it- but there is nothing on the desktop.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure all the boxes are checked in Finder Preferences? Open any folder and on the left under Devices do you see it? You named it when you formatted so I don't know the name.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't intend on accepting that- I still havn't got it yet?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok so what about my question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know where finder preferences is.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
We already did this once remember???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes we did mike- and they are al still checked
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok then I need you to take a picture of your desktop with no windows open (you only have one monitor right?) and also open Disk Utility select the device on the left and take another picture:

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. Let me know when sent.

Then go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No thanks- it has to be easier than this.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well I'm sorry but you must be missing something there is no way you have refomatted the drive, it shows up in Disk Utility, and all those boxes are checked that it would not show up on the desktop.... I don't know what else to do. Do you see the little menu at the top of this window? You can attach the pictue right here by clicking on the paper clip. It is up to you, but I have spent to much time to give up now.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am looking at a window that says DISC UTILITY
Erase
mac osx extended journaled
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I thought your already did that on the USB drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have to to remember _ am not a geek- where do I go from here?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
So you never reformatted the stick earlier?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what I did- I checked off all of the boxes- why can't we just go from here?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No I mean in Disk Utility: From previous post:

Mike, Mac Medic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help - this is way too complicated.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank you but if you can’t do a simple thing like reformat the drive with Disk Utility then I don't know how you are going to use the drive. Do you have a younger person around who could help, I hate to leave it like this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
"can't do a simple thing like------?" -I was following YOUR instructions to a T yesterday- & we got stuck
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I don't understand... if you followed them to a tee then did you or did you not reformat the drive? I did not mean that with any disrespect I just don't like giving up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok- lets go back to very begining- never mind what i did or did not do.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok here are pictures with a USB stick in the computer, Disk Utility is in Applications/Utilitites, select the drive on the left choose the erase tab choose the format just like in the picture, name it something and click on Erase:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here