Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Using CS3 Photoshop, Raw photos download from my Nikon D80

Customer Question

Using CS3 Photoshop, Raw photos download from my Nikon D80 with no problem. New Nikon 5100 makes me go through their ViewNX 2, and while JPG files will open, NEF (raw) files won't...period. I get message "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." I called Nikon who had no answer for me except to contact Abobe. Have been struggling all day with this, opening up stuff in Bridge and it just sits there until I try to open one of the test shots from NEF.

Is Nikon trying to steer me to their View software in order to get these files open.

Thanks for any help you can come up with. Paul Deak
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Have you run software update from Adobe?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Stil need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike: Sorry it took a long time to get back to you. I have connected with a local photo/mac expert, who explained to me that the Nikon 5100 raw or NEF protocol is new and significantly different from earlier verisions and that the only way I would be able to open up the file would be through Adobe Lightroom 3, which provides the best way to save and work with these files as dng. I downloaded a trial copy and found that it performed as he said (he teaches this stuff). Even a trial copy of photoshop 5 didn't do it for me. So my problem was resolved without your assistance. (We lost contact due to an instability in my iMac, which shuts itself off in the middle of things..I expect to fix that with a reinstall of Leopard which Apple tech is sending). Sorry we couldn't work together on this matter. When I tried to get back to you I kept getting the wrong kind of experts on everything else in the book. Regards
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes I would have got to that but you did not come back. I doubted that CS3 could handle those files.