Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a Mac OS 10.6.6 and I Install the printer succesfuly

I have a Mac OS 10.6.6 and I Install the printer succesfuly but after 1 hour - 1 day, the connection is gone and the printer gives an error. I tried a lot and for the moment I'm desperate. Does somebody have the same experience ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok how do you want it connected to print?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doesn't matter .. I would say with the time capsule ?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok first let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

If all ok go to the Apple logo to Software Update
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry but I have to go now unexpected. I reply you back tomorrow with the answers from above.

thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.6.8
2.5 ghz intel core i5
4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Performed
disk check = everything ok
repair permissions = here a lot of files are repaired i saw in the overview
update = update about RAW camera files
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok plug the printer into the TC then open Airport Utiltity and connect to the TC make sure the printer shows up under Printers then you can just go to System Preferences / Print & Fax and you should be able to add the printer there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not with the printer for the moment, normally within 1 hour I'm there!

When I plug in the printer; USB or network cable ?

till later
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oops I already paid the ammount ?! And now ?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem you can get it back later if not satisfied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok ...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
printer connected with usb on TC and network cable is connected also on TC
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok then open Airport Utiltity and connect to the TC make sure the printer shows up under Printers then you can just go to System Preferences / Print & Fax and you should be able to add the printer there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do I find the airport utitlty ?
I connected here everythin with the wire.
When going to sys pref. / print & fac I see the printer (USB)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Just delete the printer in Print & Fax and then add it back, that may be enough.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I did it already before, I can install and succesfully print 1 page. But after restart of a couple of hours he loses the connection. I think iits something with the IP adress thqt he not renew (dhcp) ...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well do it again and let me know if it still happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When connecting with USB on TC and perform installation everything OK. When I do a print job i get an error message 10322: cannot communicate with printer.

When I search the IP adress of the printer and I perform a installation with adding the ip adress. The printer work just for a moment. Afterwards he loses the connection.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You should not use the IP tab you should use the Default tab.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I am in the default tab, connected the printer with usb directly on mac, did the installation succesfully. Afterwards I look under the options button and see this url cntdbmu://USB/Canon_iR1018_1022_1023__UFRII_LT_/usb://Canon/iR1018%2F1022%2F1023%20%28UFRII%20LT%29?serial=18X1D4hi0008

I think this is not correct ? do you think ?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I thought you wanted to use the Time Capsule?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I just try to explain you my current situation.

I deleted the current installation.

I connected the printer with the TC with the USB and found it at the showing list (bonjour)
I select the printer, I have a list with 5 ( fax, pcl5e, pcl6 and ufrII lt ) i choose the last one ufrII,
afterwards i select the correct driver and perform installation.

Then I try to print a page and get error message 10322 = cannot communicate with the printer
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Try this:

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.6.x
1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.6.x, follow these steps:
2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok everything is blanco now at printer side.

I preformed the installation with USB on TC with no succes, inmediately an error message.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to Applications / Utilities open Airport Utility choose your TC and see if the printer is listed undet Printers tab
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do I find this ?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean go to Applications folder look on the left in any folder window.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I found it and TC is showing it under the tab printers
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok now what happens when you go to Print & FAx and click on the plus sign you don't see the printer under the default tab?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I see it under default. I do the installation but I receive an error that the printer cannot communicate with the mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Turn the printer off and unplug from power for a few minutes then turn it back on and restart the Time Capsule
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I did it ... preformed the installation again = negative

I want also mention that APPLE customer care have said that the printer was not compatible with Mac.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
YEs that is info I could have used what is the model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Canon iR1022iF
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If the driver is not here then you are out of luck sorry:

http://software.canon-europe.com/

you should be conneting that with Ethernet anyway not USB.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The driver is there and I already downloaded and installed but the error message stays the same. I'm convinced that there must be a setting regarding the ip policy (printer or Mac) that must be changed. But I dont find it.

I hoped to receive a quick answer for my issue but that it will not be.

So I ask you friendly to make the refund of my payment because I don't think I will receive the answer inmediately. The problem is that the Mac is from a customer of me t. I will not charge my intervention because i didnt find the solution. So I will pas this problem to somebody else with more Mac experience to one of my colleuages.

I don't think this will be a problem for you.

Thank you for your time.

Domenico Romano
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
There is no IP address involved if you are connecting via USB do you have ethernet also connected?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I connected with ethernet cable; on TC and router. Under default the printer is not showing up, I can only install it under IP tab. But then always the same story; succesfully installation, i can print pages but after a while he loses the connection.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok then I am out of ideas. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you

and I wish you succes for your furhter carreer
and maybe till next time.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok you too
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I solved the printer issue myself ! I forget to look inside the printer menu on the device. And there it was the function I needed; configure IP adress of printer. So assigned an fix ip adress and all my worries dissapeared !!