Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Some of my links are displaying colours incorrectly (while

Customer Question

Some of my iweb links are displaying colours incorrectly (while others are correct) no matter how many times I correct them in iweb and republish to a local folder on my desktop and then to my FTP server. My first site uses different link colours from my 2nd site. One link from the 1st site changed the (normal) link colour on the pages where it appears on my 2nd site. I've tried deleting the test box with all links on this page and remaking them but the same fault just reappears. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean just text links?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, just text links. I even deleted the link between the two sites (I hoped temporarily!) but the colour still persisted from the 1st site link colour to the one 2nd site page where the link had been.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You can't judge text links color because every browser could be set to a different setting and after you visit a link it will change color.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The colour which 'spilled', as it were, from site 1 to site 2 is a new development. To start with it was at least a version of my chosen colour for site 2. On my Safari and about 4 different computers. What's wrong is that it turned exactly the colour of visited links in site 2. My sites are (1) www.julietwoodportraits.co.uk and (2) www.julietwoodmorepaintings.co.uk.l The wrong links pages on site 2 are 'About this series' and
'Contacts and links' in case this helps.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok I went to www.julietwoodportraits.co.uk all the links are red and turn white when I rollover, same with www.julietwoodmorepaintings.co.uk. What is wrong?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I meant to say spilled from site 1 to the pages I told you on site 2: www.julietwoodmorepaintings.co.uk. Links on site 1 have behaved ok as you see.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I still don't understand the problem sorry. Give me one page and describe what is wrong.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Go to www.julietwoodmorepaintings.co.uk. Click through the pages and you'll see that the links are scarlet. Some are a different red before rolling over. Go to 'About the series' page and the links are terracotta. This is the visited links colour for the julietwoodportraits site; an error colour for the morepaintings site. Still on the 'morepaintings' site, go to the 'Contacts and links' page where you'll see the different reds on the 'normal' links. They should all be the same bright red colour like most of the other pages.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That is because your browser changes the visited links to whatever the browser is set to you can’t really control that without going to every household and changing their browser settings. You don't have that much control over it. Look at your browser settings for visited links
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But the visited links colour in question is not from julietwoodmorepaintings. It has migrated from julietwoodportraits. If links show a quite different colour (terracotta) from the scarlet colour chosen for a given page on a given iweb site are you saying that is simply an uncontrollable browser? The links on the Contacts and links page which are darker red are supposed to be the 'normal' mode, and yet they show the visited colour instead. You advise looking at browser settings (how?) for visited links but It's not visited links that are the problem, just 'normal' links.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The only ones that were orange were the ones I visited already.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The visited links on that 'About the series' page were designed the same as all the other pages on the morepaintings site; a darker red. The orange we see is the visited links colour from the julietwoodportraits site and has no place on the morepaintings site. After clearing History and all caches, when newly republished, the unvisited links on 'About the series' page on morepaintings site still show the visited links colour from the other site. That is the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to File Publish Entire site
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That took a while. We now see 2 red but 3 still orange unvisited links on that page. I've only previously published the site (always the entire site) on the iweb 'site publishing' page. Is there a difference by going to file, publish entire site? And how can we restore the remaining 3 to red?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to Safari / Empty Cache then try again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I emptied Safari cache and cleared History first but still no luck. I told you 3 but it's actually 4 orange unvisited links. For some reason 2 did restore to red.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I tried it with Firefox and this is the page that does not seem to be working:

http://www.julietwoodmorepaintings.co.uk/Juliet_Wood_more_paintings/About_this_series.html

most people will use Windows so you should test it there before you try changing everything. To be honest, I know as a painter (a very good one I might add) you notcie that, but I never would have, if you did not mention it. The colors are too similar. I would make it a more drastic color change otherwise what is the point in having it change at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
D'you mean too similar unvisited links colours between the 2 sites or between visited and unvisited within the 1 site? And by 'changing everything' did you mean deleting the page and remaking it from scratch?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I meant I wouldn't have noticed the differnence between those colors at all if you hadn't mentioned it. I would redo the whole site's link colors, not delete and redo, and also check on Windows first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But how can I redo the whole site's link colours without first deleting the existing ones? Did you mean not delete that page but delete all the site's links so as to redo? I told you earlier that I'd tried deleting the links on that page but when I redid them they came up in the same wrong colours. Will removing all links from the site and starting them again prevent this? (oh dear). We haven't got Windows here and all my family have Macs. I'll have to search.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I can look on Windows for you. Give me a minute.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Here is how you do that. I can wait until you change them to check on Winblows.

http://iweb.maccreate.com/2010/05/24/customizing-hyperlinks-in-iweb-09/
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any color change at all in Windows 7 / IE 9, but you have other problems which is why you should always check as many browsers and platforms as you can:

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The iweb link you've given shows only what I've already done to create all links in both my sites. There's a whole list of people's problems with links. I've been searching for mine which isn't there. You advised 'redoing' all links on my morepaintings site (portrait site is fine except i removed the link from it to 'morepaintings' to stop the link colour migration which didn't work). You advised deleting all the links on the entire 'morepaintings' site and recreate them but not deleting the unworking page. Is there more to know about deleting links than highlighting them and clicking delete button? iweb doesn't say but given my repeated efforts to delete and redo the links on the 'About this series' page, I wonder if there's some step I don't know. I'm grateful that you try Windows for me but it will take me ages tomorrow deleting and recreating all that site's links first, so when you've answered the above question we'll have to sign off till tomorrow.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes I know that is how you made them but that is also how you change them..... am I missing something? I also just told you they don't change at all on Windows which is how most people will see it and the color change on Mac is barely noticable so I suggested you change the whole color scheme for links or why bother with them at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I know that's how to change them. You've been very patient but may I repeat my question:
Is there more to know about deleting links than highlighting them and clicking delete button? Given my repeated efforts to delete and redo the links on the 'About this series' page, I wonder if there's some step I don't know. That must be it for tonight but If I could find your answer here in the morning I'd be very grateful
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I would say do not delete them just change them, but on that problem page probably a good idea to delete the whole page since it is not that difficult a layout. Let me know I am here for a couple more hours though I know there is a time difference, we can do it tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more! The Windows page you showed is not the 'About this series' page with the orange unvisited colours. I asked about deleting before redoing the links colours because my attempts to redo links without first deleting them didn't work.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I was just trying to show you that the words overlap on Windows there are probably a lot more errors. Just delete the whole page and start over.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I see the overlap. Ok, I will tomorrow.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me know.