Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

i cant logic pro start up on my mac, and when it does it says

Customer Question

i can't logic pro start up on my mac, and when it does it says that an error has occurred which tells me to check i have the latest drivers for midi devices, and then to restart the computer...which iv'e tried and nothing happens. I also cannot get pro tools to install after a couple of attempts. I also cannot get M-Audio live application to respond and then install? what is the problem? i know it's midi related and to do with m-audio and my midi keyboard but, I've idea how to sort out everything?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would say your problem is more widespread:

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pocessor 2.5ghz intel core i5, 4gb ram, version10.7.1, macintosh hd AMD radeon hd...its one of the new ones......working on the rest of what you said now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay verify disk was okay and i repaired permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Has it worked since you upgraded to Lion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is brand new and my first mac. i got the mac with logic already installed on tuesday....and got pro tools, the midi keyboard with m-audio live today....eager to get it started but nothings installing...the MIDI keyboard i have is supposed to instantly sync up with drives already installed on this kind of mac..so it can't be that i don't think. why m-audio live and pro tools don't install is a mystery
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
DId you go to Audio Midi settings how did you set it up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
first i tried to install pro tools a few times...i got to the very end of the installation and then it gave an error message, i then gave up and tried to install the software for the keyboard and m-audio live which is not set up really....i put the cd for the midi keyboard into the mac to install and it said the drivers were already in this model and there was no need to install or uninstall...i then put the cd in for m-audio live which came in the box with the midid keyboard...it said to drag live .6 into the mac hd to install...i did.....it copied the files.....then wouldn't respond from then on when i clicked on program 'live'....logic, worked the day before yesterday before any midi or m-audio hard or software was trying to install....and now it comes up with midi timeout and takes ages to open, logic gives a list of things it's preparing when opening logic, it walkways stops for ages on 'Checking midi drivers'......iv'e checked 'midi configuration' in 'audio' and theres no files at all.....in midi devices.....midi drivers theres files (plugins) for digi design...which i could have only got when i was attempting to install pro tools 8 LE, maybe some files are conflicting? pro tools is probably not installing for a different reason
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What Protools hardware do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got an mbox2 with pro tools 8 LE today, but iv'e not even tried install the hardware yet : /
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to Software Update under the Apple logo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay i'm installing something now?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the updates were for a hp printer, which I've not go installed (i don't think) or hooked up right now and digital camera thing.....also i just tried to re-open logic, which took ages, the error messages were mac os x midi services currently unavailable and then the midi timeout message again....i looked online and people have had the same issues, but no ones had issues with new hardware and software.....also no one has any solid answers they are all random and dependant on their particular set up it would seem
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What is listed under Midi Setup
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there isn't any folders with midi set ups as a title in audio....theres midi configuration which has nothing in..the folders midi devices and midi drivers which have digidesign plug in files and thats it i think
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
you midi keyboard should show up in Midi setup is it on and connected? How is it connected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i disconnected it because it was in the way and i hoped the issues would stop if i unplugged it...just plugged it back in though but still no midi set up options in the audio folder nor any sign of th keyboard being registered....the issues are the same with or without the keyboard
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you select rescan midi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't see that option, but Im out now, can we carry this on tomorrow?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Bye
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, my friend sorted the problem. Is there a way I can get my money back without giving a a dissatisfied review?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Why would you give a dissatisfied review you never came back so how could I continue to help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's my point, I don't want to give a dissatisfied view, my friend gave me the answers I needed, but I don't want to lose money I cant really spend on an answer I already have, but I don't want to give you a dissatisfied review either.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You did not Accept so the wopping $9 I would have got I did not get, I don't know about your account, I just answer questions, you can use it for another question I guess. Or contact customer service if you no longer wish to use it, good luck.