Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When I pull up my e-mail account and click on the response

When I pull up my e-mail account and click on the "response" key, the cursor will not come up on screen in order for me to type. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What application are you using to access email (Apple Mail, Entourage, Safari, etc?) and who is you email provider (Yahoo, Gmail, MobileMe, other)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think it is just safari and I use comcast.net
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok the version is Mac OS X 10.6.8, processor is 216 GHz Intel Core 2 and the memory is 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM. I do not see where the Macintosh HD is?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
On the desktop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am so sorry but I still don't see it!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to Finder / Preferences / General check all boxes at the top.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found Finder and Macintosh HD but no preference choice, should I just still click on the Macintosh HD?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Select the first icon in the Dock and then at the top of the screen you will see Finder go to Preferences
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I press the "face" icon for finder at the bottom of my computer screen a small box to the right pops up and when I try to go to "the top of the screen" there is no preferences
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What? graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I press preferences it comes up but when I try to type back to you it disappears
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what you are doing. Did you get Preferences open? Check all boxes under General tab.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I press preferences I see the "general" box on the upper left hand corner and the information that comes up has to do with defaults, windows, tabs, etc. There are no actual boxes to check. I have an appt at 1:00 so I have to leave for awhile. You are very patient and I apologize for being such a beginner. Will you still try to help me in about an hour? Please?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Check ALL boxes at the top:

graphic

You should also go here:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having problems with not being able to reply to an e-mail. I can get the reply screen but the cursor will not click below so I can type a response. Please help me!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK i reopened my question