Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am trying to download a typing program on a mac at school.

I am trying to download a typing program on a mac at school. The CD will not eject - no matter what I try. I have tried to restart holding down the mouse, attempted through disk utility, and tried to place a small piece of paper in the corner to try and coax the CD out. I can hear it spinning, and trying to eject, but it has not yet come out of the computer. I am really hoping to get the disk back, our department paid over 1,000 dollars for it!

HELP!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Restart and hold the mouse button. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Forgot to mention I tried that one too! Just did it again without success.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What model Mac and is the disk a regular size disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DIsk is regular size. I am working on a Mac OS X (version 10.5.8).
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.

Then open Terminal and type "drutil tray eject" to eject the disc/tray, and "drutil tray close" to close the tray.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Another dumb question - how do I open Terminal?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Oh sorry it is in Applications /Uitlities.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - did everything - still stuck in there! I can hear it trying to eject, but nothing is coming out.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure there is only one in there?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What model Mac is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think there are more than one! I travel from school to school, so this is not MY computer. The teacher seems to think that there was not another disk in there, but I guess that is always a possibility. Would two disks fit in there? Also - this program I am trying to load has two discs. The first disc will load successfully, then when it typically would eject the disc for me to insert disc 2 - everything stalls after it is unable to eject the disc. Would the disc be able to load information onto the computer if there were two discs in there?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No if there are two in there you will have to get it repaired. It might read the disk if it was pushed in below the other
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have we tried everything we can before it has to be repaired?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No what model Mac is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I have this right - Model name is iMac
Model identifier is iMac9,1
Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
  • If you have Toast Titanium installed on your computer, choose EJECT DISC from the menubar.
  • Sometimes you can successfully use the eject disc button in iTunes even if the disc is not visible to the Finder
  • Open Disk Utility and choose the disc you wish to eject in the left-hand pane, then click on the Eject button.
  • If your computer has an eject button on the keyboard, restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I couldn't locate the Toast Titanium on the computer. I tried the iTunes option, the disk utility, and the keyboard eject option. With each attempt - I can hear it trying to eject, but nothing comes out. I guess there may be two in there because it seems to be really stuck. Thanks so much for your help. I'll hit accept answer next - I just wanted to thank you before I signed off.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes that must be it good luck
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.