Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8. I am

I have a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8. I am having printer problems with older printers, the first an Xante 8200 and HP8150 running on ethernet into my Time Capsule with a 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch. No jobs will print either plugging directly into the MacBook or through the router. I have two other printers connected to the network via USB that print fine. For the life of me I don't know why I can't print on the ethernet network. I've also tried using different cables. I'm stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to System Preferences / Print & Fax delete the printer then add it back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have done that twice before with the same results of no printing. I will try again and let you know.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Does it show back up under Default when you go to add it back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes along with 3 other printers. I've printed again and in the HP Laserjet 8150 Series print box, it just says Connecting to printer and then it'll time out and says Unable to connect to printer, will retry in 30 seconds.
I've been working on Macs since late 1980's just to give you some info on me.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Turn the printer off and unplug from power for few minutes. Do you have the latest driver?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I called HP and they gave me the Apple URL to download the latest drivers. They've been installed. I also tried printing directly from my older MacBook and I had the same issue. I don't understand what's happening because I had the exact same problem with my older Xante which is 20 years old. On the Xante I even tried a different ethernet adaptor and it still didn't work. So I thought it was old and some part inside crater. So I bought this newer HP 8150 printer and it's doing the exact same thing. I'm stumped!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10.6.8
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I'm waiting for Verify Disk. But I had two disks:
251 GB APPLE SSD TS25 and underneath that indented
Macintosh HD
I ran Verify Disk and received this error. I'm now running it on the Mac HD, same problem. I have to check to see if I have any back up disks.
graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have upgraded but don't have a system disk, just what came with the laptop 10.5.2, not sure what new system disk you are referring to.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Snow Leopard that is the system you are running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I'm to reboot with the original Mac OS 10.5.2 Install Disc 1?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No you have to use the system you are running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a backup disk for Snow Leopard / 10.6.8 so I can't reboot to repair the disk. Is that correct? All of my upgrades have been made using Software Update.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You could not have upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 using software update, it would have required a disk it is not a free update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Upon further searching, I found the Mac 10.6 Install DVD. I will reboot with this then.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
May be awhile before I respond back. Will get back to you…
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but I may sign off before you come back can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back and have repaired disk and permissions. Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we can continue tomorrow. I'm on MST, 2 hours behind you. 9:00 AM, 11:00 your time would be good if that works for you.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still good for tonight yet if you are still up. l tried printing and still same communication problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was beat I am around early if you are there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, I'm back. Are you available?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I repaired the HD and permissions. Tried printing again and same communication problem. It "see's" the printer but just won't print.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Print & Fax.
2. Open Print and Fax preferences 

4. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
5. Add the printers you use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done, still not printing but prints to my other USB printer but not the 8150 through ethernet. Router light is green where the ethernet is connected to. Perhaps I should try and plug it directly into the Time Capsule and not the 10/100 Switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't work either.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If the printer has WiFi turn it off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea but it's 10 years old so I doubt it. My Xante is 20 years old and it definitely won't either. I think we're running out of options…
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Does it work if plugged directly in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure I had tried that but I'll do it again.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I unplugged from my WIFI / Airport network so I didn't have internet and it prints. Had to plug network back in to respond to you.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then you don't have the network setup properly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, can you help with that?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I need you to describe your whole setup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this screenshot help in my Network prefsgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No I mean your routers what is plugged into what, etc.. You should not have Airport and Ethernet active at the same time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Time Capsule where my internet modem is plugged into. I have a DLink 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch that is plugged into Time Capsule. Does that help? Do you want to continue?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Does the Internet modem have only one Ethernet connector?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok what did you uplug that made it work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned off Airport while being directly connected from the printer to my laptop and bypassed the router.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What is connected to the TC and what to the switch. Also open Airport Utility I need all those settings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TC has the following connected to it:
The cable modem and the DLink Switch

The Switch has connected to it:
Two laptops
Printer

I will send screenshots of all the Airport Utility settings in another reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Aren’t the laptops wireless why are they connected to the switch?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I need screens from Airport Utility not Network Preferences
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they are wireless but I found I couldn't print to my HP USB printer unless we were directly plugged in through the router. Not sure why? At least my older laptop anyway. I'll send the Airport Utility next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, where do I find Airport Utility?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In Utilitites folder how did you set up the Time Capsule without that?????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I need the Internet screens too , thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Internet screens? Can you clarify? Bare with me…
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You were on the Airport tab I need the Internet tab:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Change Connection Sharing to Distribute range if IP addresses
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried that and I lost my internet connection. Had to restore back to original settings and restart my computer to get internet back.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You have to restart everyhting after you do that including routers, printers and computers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll try again and let you know.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work. I changed to Distribute range, restarted TC, restarted internet modem, TC, DLink, printer, laptop and had no internet connection. Had to go to original settings and restart laptop second time.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but I need you to take some settings before you change that back. Are all your printers and computers using DHCP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't say. Can you tell from any of the screenshots I've sent? What do you mean 'take some settings before changing back'.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Well I can’t troubelshoot if you keep changing it back before I can see. As you can imagine this is very difficult to fix your whole network setup this way. Why did you set it up the way you did in the first place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't do it, a Mac tech support friend did orginally. He works for the University of Alberta as their Mac Tech Support specialist so I trust him. I don't know what other screenshots I can take other then just changing the setting to Distribute and you lose the NAT tab. Do you want shots of the TCP/IP and DHCP tabs after the change? I can do that but then I'll have to change everything back anyways so I get internet to respond to you.
If you're that frustrated, I'm sorry for that. Did you want to move on and give up?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did it ever work after that original setup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes on my old Xante printer. It quit working within the last year but I had a backup printer so didn't worry about it until now. I'm not sure what changed but there's a few times I had to reset TC as I lost internet. That could have affected some settings.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is the printer setup for DHCP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. How can I find out?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That I don't know I would have to look it up. Let's try this unplug everything except the modem to the TC and connect to the TC using Ethernet with one laptop. Turn everything else off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK and do you need any screenshots before I change settings back while trying this latest strategy?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I need you to change it to Distribute a range of IP addresses restart it then unplug the laptop and conenct to it wirelessly then tell me what is listed on the laptop in TCP/IP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, will be back…
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I had just the modem plugged into the TC, no other devices, laptop connecting wirelessly. Here are the settings, I took screenshots of all 3 tabs.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Where did you get the numbers for th Manual TCP/IP setup?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The came up on their own when I switched to Distribute. I didn't type anything in, just took screenshots.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Change Manual to DHCP and take a screenshot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here it is. When I saved the settings after changing to DHCP, I went back in after TC restarted, it had changed back to Manual. It would not stay in DHCP unless I changed back to Share public IP address.
graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok leave it at Shared IP address. Plug the printer into the TC power cycle it and try to print from the laptop connected by WiFi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No didn't work. My tech guy is back in town and just called. He says to try and find the IP address, I'll have to look in the printer for config reports. Also there may be a firmware update that needs to be done. I'll work on that next.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes I don't think it is set for DHCP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finally figured it out. I had to change the configuration on the control panel of the printer to turn DHCP on. It was set to a fixed IP address by the previous owner. Then it printed directly from TC. I plugged everything back in, turned on the router and it didn't work. So I found the IP address in the config menu of the printer and created a new printer using that IP address. Now it works on the network.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Damn I knew that was probably it earlier.... could have saved some time. Anyway good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
bye
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you don't Accept I don't get paid the $19 FYI.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.