Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iphoto closed on my MacBook Pro and when I reopened the

Customer Question

My iphoto closed on my MacBook Pro and when I reopened the app it said it was rebuilding my library. Well it then froze so I forced quit and reopened iphoto and it had deleted all my photos. :( I have no back up does that mean all my photos are gone? Is there a way to recover all those photos. I am so upset I feel sick. WHat happened?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Force it to rebuild again hold Option and Command and open iPhoto, check all boxes and rebuild
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that and It wouldn't rebuild. It would get to a certain amount and then just stop. I tried this for days. So i just found my old master file for iphoto and just dragged all those into iphoto. They werent all accepted but i got most of them back. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok but you should also do this: go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did this before i even contacted you guys. It says that the Mac HD appear to be ok. So i am confused... If its ok then i should permission repair disk? If so why do i need to do this? Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Mac OS X is UNIX and every file or app has certain privileges it is a common maintenance procedure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok its doing that now. Will i have to do anything after this? I won't mess with my iphoto will it?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No but if you have managed to get your pictures back I suggest you get an external drive to use as backup.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Good luck, thank you