OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

This is an iTouch problem rather that an iPhone problem. I

This is an iTouch problem rather that an iPhone problem. I lost my iTouch 8/22/11, about 06:45 AM. It fell out of my pocket while loading luggage into a car at th airport. It has not been turned in at any appropriate Lost & Found.

While some of my data is password XXXXX some is not. I am worrined about that data, as well as the potential for the device to continue to receive my e-mail. I have all ready notified my credit card companies, and hte credit rating agency (Equifax) about this problem, and they will take appropriate action. However, I am hoping there is some way to delete the data remotely. If that is not possible, how can I separate this device
from receiving any future data (e.g., e-mails) ?

I would appreciate your assistance.

Gerald Packman
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you available?

Customer:

yes

OSXpert :

okay, great

Customer:

what next

OSXpert :

by any chance, did you have the "Find my iPhone" app installed on your phone?

OSXpert :

oops, I'm sorry, you lost your iPod, not your iPhone, correct?

Customer:

unfortunately, no

Customer:

yes. This was an iTouch

OSXpert :

bummer

Customer:

bummer?

OSXpert :

haha, I wasn't going to leaving you hanging like that :) ...

OSXpert :

unfortunately, there isn't a way to remotely wipe your iPod. There is an application for iPhones called "Find My iPhone" that will allow the owner to (through the cellular) network remove all of the data on the phone

OSXpert :

However, without being able to connect to the cellular network, there really isn't any way for your iPod to be uniquely identified

OSXpert :

There isn't anything that differentiates it from, say, the person's iPod that sits next to you on the plane

Customer:

how can I dissociate the device from my computer and e- mail service so that more data is not going into it?

OSXpert :

The best thing to do is change your password XXXXX that the iPod can no longer download emails

OSXpert :

Was there a passcode on the iPod?

Customer:

no

OSXpert :

Okay, change your password XXXXX -- that will at least keep the thief from getting your emails. Your AppleID is safe, it's required to be typed in each time you access the App store. It is not stored on the device

OSXpert :

Second, let's talk about securing yourself against potential data theft in the future...

Customer:

ok. Any other suggestions?

Customer:

oops, I am sorry. I did not mean to interrupt,=.

OSXpert :

no worries...

OSXpert :

Second, install the Find my iPhone app on your phone. This way, if someone steals your phone, you will have the ability to either:

OSXpert :

• Locate it using the GPS chip inside

OSXpert :

• or you can order the device to remove all of your data so the thief no longer has access to it

OSXpert :

lastly, I'd recommend putting a passcode on your iPhone (and your iPod as well if you decide to replace it)

OSXpert :

This way, you can set your device to lock so it can only be accessed with the passcode after a set amount of time

Customer:

The iTouch has no phone or 3g system. It only will recieve in a WiFi area. If the iTouch is not in a WiFi area, can the Find My Phone work?

OSXpert :

no, I'm sorry, I thought you had an iPhone as well, is that not the case?

Customer:

Yes, my wife just got one. I may replace the iTouch with another iPhone. That may be the best way to secure my data in the future. I guess the onoly thing to do with the disappeared iTouch is to change the e-mail password.

OSXpert :

Okay, good. I would suggest you secure your wife's iPhone with my suggestions above -- and be sure to put the passcode on as well. Unfortunately, the remote wipe feature to remove data using the cell network isn't perfect. Any thief that knows what they're doing will immediately disconnect the phone from the cellular network, which will keep you from remotely removing your data

OSXpert :

The passcode is the best way to secure your data since it does not require any remote connection to the device, it simply locks out anyone who doesn't know the password

OSXpert :

The passcode can be a bit of a pain at times, having to type it in each time, but, if you're concerned about the safety of your data -- it is the best way

OSXpert :

I'll be right back, please stand by...

Customer:

Ok. Any other suggestions before I leave.

OSXpert :

okay, sorry about that...I have a brand new daughter :)

Customer:

congratulations on your brand new daughter

OSXpert :

Thank you :) I don't have any other suggestions, those will be the best things to secure your data

OSXpert :

To enable the passcode, go to Settings->General->Passcode Lock

OSXpert :

You can install Find My iPhone from the App store on the phone itself

Customer:

Thanks

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin