OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

I just bought an iMac (27 ) and installed lion operating system.

I just bought an iMac (27") and installed lion operating system. I have Graphisoft ArchiCAD 13 installed (it runs just fine), but when I try to open a project on our BIM server- the new computer is not seeing any BIM servers to connect to. ArchiCAD chat has some vague mention of this but no resolution. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Does your BIM server run Samba? Are you storing your projects on your BIM server?

I don't know what Samba is, but we do seem to be storing the projects on the BIM server. When I open ArchiCAD it shows a prompt window to either open a 'solo' project, or to browse the BIM server for a teamwork project. Then it allows me to choose the BIM server. Now there are none shown to chose from.

OSXpert :

Samba is a network sharing service (typically when at least 1 system is Windows-based) that is used to allow users' to exchange files. This functionality was removed in 10.7 Lion -- It's hard for me to say for sure, but given that you were accessing your BIM server over the network and it's now inaccessible after the 10.7 upgrade, I'm guessing that your BIM server is using Samba to communicate with its clients.

Is there a network administrator that you can ask about this specifically? Is the BIM server running a variant of Windows Server? Lastly, if this is the case, consider using a different protocol such as NFS or AFP if your server permits it. Let me know if I can be of more help

Thank you. I will check into this.

OSXpert :

Sounds good, keep me posted