OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

I have been using Quicken 2007 for Mac. Just recently I updated

I have been using Quicken 2007 for Mac. Just recently I updated my Mac operating system to OS X Lion, not realizing that Lion does not support Quicken 2007. What are my options in order to continue using Quicken for my bookkeeping?

Allyn Hart XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 2 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

OSXpert :

Do you have a minute to chat?

Customer:

Yes I am available

OSXpert :

great, let's talk about your Lion install

Customer:

Good

OSXpert :

so, you have some options, unfortunately, they're all relatively complex. Would you consider yourself an advanced user of Mac OS X?

Customer:

no

OSXpert :

well, let me outline the options and you can decide if you want to attempt one of the solutions, have someone else do it for you (Apple Store), or wait for Intuit to release a patch or a version of Quicken that will run on Lion. (The latter WILL happen, but we're not sure exactly when)

Customer:

Ok. lets hear your options

OSXpert :

First, like you said, you can dual-boot Lion and Snow Leopard. This involves basically dividing up the hard drive inside your computer and allocating a portion of it to Lion and the remaining portion of it to Snow Leopard. You have the option at boot time which of Lion or Snow Leopard you would like to boot into. Make sense?

OSXpert :

This way you can install Quicken in Snow Leopard and use the Lion install for everything else.

Customer:

Yes

OSXpert :

Next option ( this is probably the easiest if you're thinking of doing this yourself) it to install a piece of Virtual Machine software, such as VMWare. This software will allow you to basically boot Snow Leopard from inside of Lion. For example, you start up your Mac and on the desktop / dock is an icon called VMWare. You can click the VMWare icon and the software will boot an installation of Snow Leopard. Once Snow Leopard has booted, you can, again, access Quicken. Still with me?

Customer:

I think so

OSXpert :

okay good, lastly, you can wait for Intuit to make a version of Quicken that runs in Lion OR, you can try Quicken Essentials (which does run in Lion) and see if it meets your needs. It's difficult to tell when this will happen, but, Intuit is a fairly Mac-friendly company and I would imagine they will be working on Quicken for Lion soon.

Lastly, can I ask what kinds of things you do in Quicken? I may be able to recommend an alternative.

Customer:

Can I transfer the Quicken to a zip drive and load in on another computer (MAC) download Essentials and then transfer the quicken files to Essentials and and then transfer back to this MAC with the zip drive?

OSXpert :

I don't think you're going to have much luck trying to import / transfer your existing Quicken 2007 info into Essentials. Quicken Essentials is a totally separate program that does not have all of the functionality that 2007 has

OSXpert :

You're basically looking at starting off with a new piece of software and setting up your accounts again

Customer:

but the advertising for Lion and Essentials says that you can transfer all your quicken files to Essentials as long as this is done before downloading LION

OSXpert :

you can, but the feedback from the existing user base has shown importing your 2007 info into Essentials has been only partially successful

OSXpert :

...and if you get it to work, you're still going to be lacking some functionality from Quicken 2007. This is certainly an option, but, it may be more frustration than it's worth. What kinds of things are you doing with Quicken 2007?

Customer:

Please tell me where I can get MVWare and give me details on how to dual boot. Thank you.

OSXpert :

let me find a write-up on dual booting, hang on just a second...

OSXpert :

take a look at this guide:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/12/how-to-install-dual-boot-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-and-10-6-snow-leopard/

OSXpert :

You're going to want to substitue 10.6 in for the places where you see Lion / 10.7 since you already have Lion installed. That said, you will be installing Snow Leopard into the new partition

Customer:

How about the MVWare?

OSXpert :

Here is a good write-up that explains how to install Snow Leopard inside of Virtual Box (similar to VMWare, but Free!)

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-in-virtualbox-on-windows-7/

I would go this route first. The instructions assume you have Windows 7 installed as the base operating system, but it shouldn't matter, the instructions for installing Snow Leopard inside of Virtual Box will be the same

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I may transfer my Quicken Files to another Mac using Snow Leopard until Intuit comes with a different system. Thanks again

OSXpert :

Thanks Allyn, I hope I was able to get you pointed in the right direction.

OSXpert :

If you're satisfied with the information I have given you, can you please click the Accept button? If not, let me know and we can continue troubleshooting until you're fully satisfied

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin