drobertson1019
drobertson1019,

how do I remove ammyy scam

how do I remove ammyy scam
Category: Mac
Expert:  drobertson1019 replied 2 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

Note that if at all possible to make sure your data is backed up first before starting troubleshooting. We cannot assure that settings, data, pictures, etc., will remain intact during our troubleshooting. We do our best to retain your data, but in the end this is not always possible.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Finally, at any point during the troubleshooting when we ask for info, be sure to give any and all details about lights, sounds, noises, messages, and errors you may see or have seen. What may not mean much to a standard user may mean a vital clue to us experts. Also, note that example pics included in responses are just that, EXAMPLES, and may not reflect exactly what you will see, but are for general reference and to help the client understand what in general they are looking for at any given point.

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

Let remove by using a bit of a more troublesome, but worth the effort two step process:

#1 - Go to another non-infected (very important) PC and the go to the following link:

http://www.f-secure.com/linux-weblog/files/f-secure-rescue-cd-3.11.23804.zip

This link will have a file that will automatically start to download when you click the link above. Download it and unzip it, then burn the .iso (this is a disk image file and must be burned thru software that can use a disk image) file to a CD. This is an .iso file, so you do not do anything with the file at all. Your burner software will know how to use it.

If you need a .iso burning program, then download and install this free one:

http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

You will then want to boot to the new CD on your original PC. You will put the CD in the tray then do a normal reboot. The CD will take over and it will first update itself (tries, but sometimes is not able to do so - not a problem if it can not) then it will do a total scan of your system for viruses and such. Let it run and take note of it finds any of them.

When it is done take out the CD and "hard" reboot your system, using the power button.

Now after reboot, lets carry out this:

#2 - Restart or power up the system, if off, and just has soon as you see anything on the screen, start tapping rapidly, 4 or 5 times, the F8 key. Your going to think about just holding it down altogether, but this will cause an error, so please do not do so. Tap rapidly.

We are looking for a menu on the screen that says, "Windows Startup Menu". If you do make it there, then you will use the down arrow key and move down to "Safe Mode with Networking" and then tap Enter.

It will eventually get to asking a yes and no question about Safe Mode. Answer yes. Now you will go to your desktop, or if you usually have to log in, then it will ask you to do so.

Note also that not everything functions in this mode, and / or may look different. This is ok and normal.

Now lets download Combofix and use to remove this virus.

(IMPORTANT - Click OK to continue on those popup messages from combofix, DO NOT disable the anti-virus, just click OK to go on and you might have 3 different OK boxes to pop up, and if it ask to download the recovery console just click NO.)

Run COMBOFIX. Microsoft often uses this themselves for viruses. This is a free tool and it does not install anything on your computer.

Web address (click to start download and save to your desktop to then run):

http://www.combofix.org/downloadlink.php

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((( other deletions ))))))))))))))

make note of what is listed, if anything at all, and please get those entries back to me - let me know if nothing is listed also.

Now lets reboot once more and see how we stand.

Know I am here if you need me in any way.

Thank you and God bless

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for all info but I do not have another computer or a cd disk. What next

Ok and thanks for the reply.

Start with step #2 then and make sure to let me know under the (((( other deletions )))) what was listed.

Thanks

drobertson1019,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi again shut down and started computer hitting F8 button did not do anything - I should have told you I have a Mac computer and the ammyy scam has blocked my hotmail account but do not know what else.

My apologizes, I should have asked what OS. We have a separate area for Macs. I am not authorized to do repairs on Macs.

I will notify the MODS of the site and have them unmark this as paid and also to transfer your question over to Macs area for answering by another expert.

Thank you and have a blessed day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much but if I accept your answer I am told I have to pay a further amount!