OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have an iomega 500 GB Hard Drive I used it about 11 months

I have an iomega 500 GB Hard Drive I used it about 11 months with Firewire 400 suddenly it disappeared from my desk top By the time I discovered that it was hopeless the warranty ran out. I installed A USB 2 PCI card and it showed on my desktop for about 2 months then it disappeared and will not mount. I purchased a WD 1.5 TB drive and it has functioned excellent. I have a about 12 years ago and it works fine but won't hold much. I have a Mac G4 dual 1.25 PowerPC running Tiger OS 10.4.11 with 2GB of RAM. Both Firewire Drives copied 700 MB file about 6 seconds faster than USB 2.0. Richard  [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

OSXpert :

Can you describe your situation in more detail for me? I'm not clear on what you're asking

Customer:

I was hoping that there would be something that might be some software available to download to find the drive. Normally the drive will show without installing soft ware. There seems to be many people that have had this same issue. This is the first time in 20 years that I have had a hard drive failure. I have a CD that came with the drive but there is no Driver.

OSXpert :

Okay, but is the drive that's (potentially) failing Firewire or USB?

If the kernel (OS) recognizes the drive at all, it will show up in disk utility. Go to Finder->Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility

OSXpert :

If the drive is being recognized, it will show up on the left-hand pane of Disk Utility, it should be underneath your Macintosh HD

Customer:

It doesn't show now but it did when before it failed. I will try disconnecting Power and Firewire cables will get back to you in a day or two will save this link.

OSXpert :

yes, please save the link and post your chats here. I will be alerted via email when you post a chat and I should be able to respond quicky

Customer:

Leaving the iomega drive mounted after being unplugged for 2 days connected with the firewire cable.

OSXpert :

So, the drive is actually mounting now? Previously, it wasn't showing up in Disk Utility. Can you check again and see if it's showing up in Disk Utility?

Customer:

I hit the wrong key and didn't complete my sentence; The hard drive mounted and appears in the Disk Utility and in the Finder Side Bar. I have everything backed up on another drive so I don't trust it much this has happened before.

OSXpert :

That's a good idea. To be safe, select the disk in Disk Utility, click the First Aid tab, then run the verify / repair disk permissions and the verify / repair disk options. If there happens to be an issue with the file system itself, this will ensure that it's repaired. Let me know how that goes. Aside from that, I would not trust this disk to solely house your data, given how flaky it's been in the past. It's safe to continue to use, but make sure you always have a backup in case on a failure

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Dive is toast; I couldn't copy a file to it froze my Mac and I had to shut down with the power button and Reboot the Drive didn't mount. Richard
Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.
I would avoid using the drive all together then. Often times, when hard drives over heat, they can cause the operating system to freeze like you're seeing. GIven the low cost of hard drives, I would recommend throwing it away and buying a new drive. Let me know if I can offer any more advice.