OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Forgotten password XXXXX my mac .how do I find it. Richard keeling.

Forgotten password XXXXX my mac .how do I find it. Richard keeling.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available to chat?

Customer: Yes
OSXpert :

great...

OSXpert :

did you lose the password XXXXX your Mac itself? Or an email account, .Mac, etc...

OSXpert :

?

Customer: We can access things like documents and safari but can t make changes to anything. Eg. We need to change broadband and do critical upgrades but don t remember the password XXXXX use
OSXpert :

okay, it sounds like you lost your administrator password...

OSXpert :

do you have your Mac OS X DVD?

Customer: Don t think so but going to check now. We have had the computer for about a year.
OSXpert :

okay -- we'll need those discs, hopefully you can find them

OSXpert :

also, which version of OS X are you running?

Customer: Still looking! It s version 10.6.6
Customer: Found two discs
OSXpert :

excellent...one second while I type up some instructions...

OSXpert :

We'll only need the OS X install disc, we do NOT need the other

Customer: Ok got that here
OSXpert :

okay great, first, please bookmark this page so you can come back to me. We'll need to restart the computer here in a minute. You can also get back to this chat session through the email link that was sent to you by Justanswer.com

Customer: We are on a separate computer so can communicate while I follow your instructions
OSXpert :

perfect...

OSXpert :

First, place the Mac OS X install disc in the drive. The disc should open automatically, if it doesn't, open the disc from within Finder

OSXpert :

The disc should contain a file called either "Install" or "Restore" -- please confirm this for me, I don't want to get too far ahead

Customer: Installl mac os x
OSXpert :

okay, double-click the install icon...

OSXpert :

you should be prompted to restart the computer, proceed with the restart

OSXpert :

After restarting, your Mac should boot off of the DVD...

Customer: It asked us to install snow leopard said yes clicked agree terms. Do I now install to mac hd?
OSXpert :

did your system already reboot?

Customer: No hasn't offered that yet
OSXpert :

yes

OSXpert :

proceed with the steps, you should be prompted to restart

Customer: It's asking for the administrator password!
OSXpert :

bummer...okay, scratch that. We can do this a different way. Cancel out of the installer and close all windows and programs. Reboot your Mac and hold the 'C' key as soon as the system has shutdown as is starting to reboot (when you hear the chime noise)

Customer: Doing that now
OSXpert :

great, holding the 'C' key while restarting should cause you to boot off of the Mac OS X DVD, you should NOT boot into your normal account. Please confirm for me that you have booted off of the DVD (you should be at the Mac OS install screen)

Customer: Not sure but it has a new screen and is asking for main language shall I select English and continue?
OSXpert :

yes

OSXpert :

next, click the utilities menu at the top and click "Password XXXXX"

Customer: Ok got that
OSXpert :

great, select your Mac OS X hard disk (hopefully there is only one disk to select)...

OSXpert :

select YOUR administrator username (do not select the System Administrator / Root account)

OSXpert :

create a new password XXXXX a new password XXXXX for this user

Customer: Done that. It says resetting password XXXXX not change password XXXXX the login keychain so it will not be unlocked automatically. Do I need to do that as well?
OSXpert :

if it gives you the option to unlock the keychain, go ahead and do it

Customer: Not showing that option. All I have is. Reset p word or reset home folder permissions and. Acls.
OSXpert :

skip those -- just enter your new password XXXXX click "Save"

OSXpert :

then click the red button in the upper-left corner and choose "Quit Mac OS X Installer" from the "Mac OS Installer" menu

OSXpert :

then click restart to boot back into your account

OSXpert :

let me know when you get that far...

Customer: Ok looking good. Now asking if I want to create new login keychain guess I do that but don t want to say yes until you Agree!o
OSXpert :

Looks like you'll need to -- it's not a big deal, the keychain is just there so you don't have to constantly type in your passwords for email, banking, etc...

Once you reset it, you'll simply have to log into these various services with your password XXXXX time, then you can save them into a new keychain

Customer: So I do that one at a time but does that mean you have sorted my problem?
OSXpert :

yes, you should be all set. We reset your password XXXXX now you should be able to use your new password XXXXX do the things that you previously couldn't (change broadband, install updates, etc...)

OSXpert :

does that make sense?

Customer: Yes. Amazing thank you so much. Will hit accept right now.
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin