OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

I have some webarchive files i want to send to a windows xp

I have some webarchive files i want to send to a windows xp user. will they be able to open the files? Can I convert the files to another format that will work with windows xp
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 2 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. What kind of files are you looking to share?

OSXpert :

Are you available?

Customer:

webarchive files, rtfd files

Customer:

Britton?

OSXpert :

hmm, it might be better to try to export them as standard .rtf files

OSXpert :

...if possible. Windows users are going to have a tough time reading them

Customer:

how do i change them to rtf? and does that go for the webarchive files as well?

OSXpert :

do you have them open in TextEdit?

Customer:

i don't know. will webarchive files open in text edit? it seems those files could only be saved as webarchive or rftd

Customer:

if I send them as attachments to an email - what effect does 'always send windows friendly files" have on these files?

OSXpert :

yes, you can use TextEdit to open them. If another application opens when you double click each archive, right-click and choose open with TextEdit

Customer:

then what? how do i convert them?

OSXpert :

Choose File->Save As

When the "Save As" window appears, see if it will let you choose a different file type at the bottom

OSXpert :

Otherwise, you can send them as-is and have the person you're sending them to, use Winzip to extract the contents of the Archive which should be standard text files, PDF, etc...

Customer:

as i said…the webarchive files can only be saved as w.a or rftd

Customer:

and i'm not "sharing" the files. i intend to send them as attachments

Customer:

through gmail

OSXpert :

I see

OSXpert :

Try this, open the rtfd file with TextEdit again

OSXpert :

Then choose File->Print and choose "Save As PDF"

Customer:

did you see my q re: "window friendly files"

OSXpert :

Sending it as a "Windows Friendly File" likely won't have any impact, but you can send it that way just to be safe

Customer:

you mean that it won't convert it to a "window friendly" file format?

Customer:

thats what it seems to imply

Customer:

its okay to say you don't know if you don't

OSXpert :

The Windows Friendly feature has to do with the underlying structure of files in Mac OS X (resource forks). It doesn't necessarily affect all files sent to a Windows Machine. It's good practice to always send Windows Friendly files, but it won't necessarily change the outcome (in terms of making the file usable to the Windows system) for the person you're sending it to

Customer:

and what you said about zip files…..if i send them in a zip file the windows machine will extract them in a window usable format ?

Customer:

did i understand that correctly>?

OSXpert :

nope, you can simply send the rtfd as it is currently. The person you are sending to can open the rtfd file using Winzip which will extract the contents of the Web Archive

OSXpert :

does that make sense"?

Customer:

so i should convert the webarchive files to rftd?

OSXpert :

when you save the Web Archive, it should be saved as an rtfd

OSXpert :

if not, then yes, save it as an rtfd

Customer:

if its already a webarch file i can open it and saveas…again choosing rftd…correct?...and i trust that .doc files should be no problem

OSXpert :

that's correct. However, before you get that far, did you read my instructions above about saving it as PDF?

Customer:

by going to print?

OSXpert :

yes. Choose File->Print

OSXpert :

then see if there is an option to Save As PDF

Customer:

thanks

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin