OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

Running Lion, XCode 4.1 stopped working. Upgraded to XCode4.1.1

Running Lion, XCode 4.1 stopped working. Upgraded to XCode4.1.1 on app store, no help. Uninstalled XC, but reinstall failed, because App Store won't let me reload 4.1.1 -- says it's already been loaded. HOW DO I GET MY XCODE BACK?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 2 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton

I would start by doing a clean removal of XCode. Dragging it to the trash will often times leave remnants of the software in the file system that can cause issues when re-installing.

OSXpert :

Try using this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner

To uninstall XCode, then re-install

Customer:

I did $ sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools -mode=all

Customer:

then rebooted

OSXpert :

okay -- are you familiar with the command line or did you grab that command off the web somewhere?

Customer:

I am familiar I think, but I found a few places on the web that said that was the way to uninstall

OSXpert :

okay, try:

cd /Developer <return>

OSXpert :

see if the /Developer directory still exists

Customer:

There is no /Developer directory

OSXpert :

hmm, well, that's a good sign, at least it was all removed...

OSXpert :

what's the error you're getting when trying to re-install?

Customer:

The issue seems to be that I the only way I know to get 4.1.1 is via the App Store, and it didn't get the message that It was uninstalled

Customer:

App store says "everything's up to date" and won't let me update

OSXpert :

I see -- the App store won't let you re-download because it thinks it's still installed?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

or it's just confused or broken

OSXpert :

I see...one sec...

Customer:

Perhaps there is either a way to kick sense into App Store, or download XCode4.1.1 from a dev site

OSXpert :

I think I ran into the same problem a while back with 4.1.1. Im pretty sure it's only available from the App store -- Apple is migrating all of their software (including OS X) to the App store

Customer:

ok

Customer:

(not okay)

Customer:

what do I do?

OSXpert :

Yeah, I just checked, 4.1+ is only available from the App store, stand by, I'm trying to figure this out...

Customer:

okay, good

OSXpert :

try this, click the "Purchased" tab at the top of the App store, does XCode show up in the list?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but no buttons seem active

Customer:

says installed (greyed out)

OSXpert :

hmm...I may have to opt-out, you have me stumped. Have you restarted the App Store completely (with the App store open, hit command+Q)

Customer:

will try

Customer:

same

OSXpert :

you can try rebooting OS X, but I imagine you'll have the same results...

Customer:

I've done that 2x before

OSXpert :

I'm trying to see if there is a way to force the App store to re-evaluate what's installed...

OSXpert :

okay, disregard

Customer:

that would be nice

OSXpert :

also, is there an XCode installer in the Applications directory
?

Customer:

will check

OSXpert :

okay, let me know

Customer:

YES

OSXpert :

remove it

OSXpert :

drag it to the trash

Customer:

really

OSXpert :

yes, or you can drag it to another folder (like your home folder)

OSXpert :

it just needs to be out of the Applications folder

Customer:

okay

OSXpert :

then, close the app store completely (command+Q) or click App Store->Quit App Store

OSXpert :

then re-open the app store, I need to reboot my machine, I'll be right back, you can continue to post your responses

OSXpert :

Were you able to remove the file and restart the App Store?

Customer:

yes, to no avail, but..

Customer:

I started the installXcode.app file

OSXpert :

did you move it from the Applications directory?

Customer:

no

Customer:

bad?

OSXpert :

yes, I think as long as it's in the Applications folder, the App store will always think that it's installed and will not give you the opportunity to re-download it

Customer:

well perhaps the InstallXCode.app that's there is okay. That's what I'm hoping

OSXpert :

okay...let me know how it goes. It will probably be version 4.0 (if that even matters to you), if you want 4.1, you'll have to first move the installXcode.app file OUT of the Applications directory, then re-install from the App store

Customer:

it's at 90% now

Customer:

okay

OSXpert :

alright -- keep me posted

Customer:

it has a date-time stamp of about when I got 4.1.1 from the app store.

Customer:

will do.

OSXpert :

that makes sense -- you're probably installing 4.1.1 then. Looks like the App store is fairly smart and kept a copy of the installer around for you. That way you don't have to re-download all 4.1GB again

OSXpert :

The installer you're running now should get you back on track

Customer:

+++ xcode's working

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!

OSXpert :

okay cool, sounds like you're all set

Customer:

yup

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin