Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.

I have a Canon MG8120 printer. In the middle of printing photos

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG8120 printer. In the middle of printing photos that were with a border were coming out with uneven borders. This biggest on he right side almost two inches.
Category: Mac
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Please follow the steps below to print a nozzle check pattern and then check it. After that check it and clean the print head, if required.

You need to prepare: a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper

1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

1. Make sure that one or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper are loaded in the Cassette.

1. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension.

Important

If the Inner Cover is open, close it.

1. Print the nozzle check pattern.

(1) Select Setup on the HOME screen.

The Setup menu screen will appear.

(2) Select Maintenance , and touch the OK button.

The Maintenance screen will appear.

(3) Select Print nozzle check pattern, and touch the OK button.

figure:LCD

The confirmation screen will appear.

(4) Select Yes, and touch the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern will be printed and two pattern confirmation screens will appear on the LCD.

1. Examine the nozzle check pattern.

Examining the Nozzle Check Pattern

Examine the nozzle check pattern, and clean the Print Head if necessary.

1. Check if there are missing lines in the pattern (1) or horizontal white streaks in the pattern (2).

(A) No missing lines/No horizontal white streaks

(B) Lines are missing/Horizontal white streaks are present

1. Select the pattern that is closer to the printed nozzle check pattern on the confirmation screen.

figure:LCD figure:LCD

For (A) (no missing lines or no horizontal white streaks) in both (1) and (2):

(1) The cleaning is not required. Select All A and touch the OK button.

(2) Confirm the message and touch the OK button.

The screen will return to the Maintenance screen.

Note

Touch the HOME button to exit Setup and display the HOME screen.

For (B) (lines are missing or horizontal white streaks are present) in (1) or (2), or in both (1) and (2):

(1) The cleaning is required. Select Also B and touch the OK button.

The cleaning confirmation screen will appear.

(2) Select Yes and touch the OK button.

The machine starts cleaning the Print Head.

Cleaning the Print Head

Clean the Print Head if lines are missing or if horizontal white streaks are present in the printed nozzle check pattern. Cleaning unclogs the nozzles and restores the print head condition. Cleaning the Print Head consumes ink, so clean the Print Head only when necessary.

Important

If the Inner Cover is open, close it.

1. Clean the Print Head.

(1) Select Setup on the HOME screen.

The Setup menu screen will appear.

The Maintenance screen will appear.

(3) Select Cleaning, and touch the OK button.

figure:LCD

The confirmation screen will appear.

Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the cleaning of the Print Head. This takes about 1 minute.

The pattern print confirmation screen will appear.

(5) Select Yes, and touch the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern will be printed.

1. Examine the nozzle check pattern.

Note

If the problem is not resolved after cleaning the Print Head twice, clean the Print Head deeply.

S

Cleaning the Print Head Deeply

If print quality does not improve by the standard cleaning of the Print Head, clean the Print Head deeply. Cleaning the Print Head deeply consumes more ink than the standard cleaning of the Print Head, so clean the Print Head deeply only when necessary.

Important

If the Inner Cover is open, close it.

1. Clean the Print Head deeply.

(1) Select Setup on the HOME screen.

The Setup menu screen will appear.

The Maintenance screen will appear.

(3) Select Deep cleaning, and touch the OK button.

figure:LCD

The confirmation screen will appear.

The machine starts cleaning the Print Head deeply.

Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the deep cleaning of the Print Head. This takes about 2 minutes 30 seconds.

(6) When the completion message appears, touch the OK button.

1. Examine the nozzle check pattern.

If a particular color is not printed properly, replace the ink tank of that color.

If the problem is not resolved, turn off the power and clean the Print Head deeply again after 24 hours.

If the problem is still not resolved, the Print Head may be damaged. Contact the service center.

Note

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This answer had absolutely nothing to do with my problem Total waste of money and I want to throw my printer out the window and buy a competitors
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
Why are saying this? and if you want to throw your printer out, then it is your decision, why are you blaming for that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The print comes out with uneven borders. There is a large one at one end about two inches also the top and bottom borders are also uneven. I was printer a bunch a of prints that were comping out fine and then for no reason the next one came out with crazy looking borders. I have been on the apple forums for days and finally came up with nothing. I did nothing to the computer while it was printing. The reason for my anger is this from my perspective has nothing to do with cleaning the printer. I have reinstalled software and downloaded drivers from the apple website with no results
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
This is not a software problem and that's why reinstalling the software will not help. The problem you are facing is generally caused by clogged print head or defective cartridges and that's why I told you to clean the print head, but if you think that this is not the solution, then I am opting out from the question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do appolize as I have been dealing with this problem for three days and need to print some important photos. I will see what happens with your explanation

The machine requires no cleans. Now what should be done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need some more help as my issue is not resolved. The printer is still doing what I said and I follow your instructions completely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why are you not answering my response. I followed what you told me and the problem still exist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why are you not replying? The printing head does NOT NEED to be cleaned. Do I need to get nasty in order for a reply. I have done what you said and it is not resolves. What next?
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I have opted out from the question, that's why I am not replying you. Anyway, as this is a print head problem and the deep cleaning do not help, we have to try another solutions and make sure of the exact fault.

When you Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.) You will be able to see a clear plastic strip called encoder strip, like the image below. Please clean the strip with a soft lint free cloth and check the issue and let me know.

http://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/2B85FFB.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still have the same problem. I feel it is a bigger problem than cleaning as there is major border printing problems.
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
It seems the contacts on the print head are damaged and you have to replace the print head to resolve the issue, but before that you can follow the steps below to remove the print head and then cleaning the copper contacts on them with a cotton swab dampened in distilled water until they are clean, after drying them reseat the print head and check the issue. If the problem persist, then replace the print head to resolve the issue.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on, and open the Paper Output Tray gently

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

3. Remove all the Ink Tanks in the following manner.

Push the tab (A) and lift the ink tank to remove.

Do not touch the Print Head Lock Lever (B).

4. Raise the print head lock lever.

5. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

* Image shown below is taken from the MP600. The procedure is the same for other models such as the MG6120 / MG8120. Note that the lock lever can be lifted from either side. See illustration in step 6, below.

6. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

7. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

8. Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

Install all the other ink tanks in the same way.

9. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

Caution: When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam fingers.

Note: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I followed the steps with no problems and I don't think it was cleaning. There were noises coming from the printer. Should there have been?
Expert:  sowravd85 replied 2 years ago.
Do you have removed the print head and cleaned it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleaned the print head and I still have the problem :(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since yo oppted out of this question how do I continue to solve this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is going on with this service I should have heard something by now. This is very poor customer service.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi - I noticed your case, and am reviewing it and checking whether there is anything to add to the previous Expert's efforts. Whether or not there is anything to add to the above, I will post again to this case within 10 or 15 minutes with my opinion.
I think that this is a case where we need to ask you more fully, what is the nature of your problem? that is, if your photos are printing with 'uneven borders', then what exactly does that mean?:

- colors go wrong at the edges of the printed photo ? or, a zone of wrong colors at the edge of the printed photo ?

- part of the photo is cut off, either raggedly, or just cut off sharply ? at the edge(s).

- something else, some other pattern ?

And, please state what sort of blank paper stock you are using to print on, and where you are feeding the printer from (in case it matters even slightly to the case.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The prints as far as color and other stuff along that lines are fine. I guess the main issue is that I think the image is being cropped mainly by a large border on the end of the print coming out of the printer. That border is about 1.5 inches. Also the top and bottom borders are slightly bigger than they are supposed to be. The photos are cut off sharply and there are no raggedly edges. I am using glossy paper which is fed from the back. Hopefully that is enough info
Thanks for the more exact description.

Please try this - it is a basic thing to check, if the print doesn't come out as it ought (especially if it seems to be being cropped inside the printer rather than by the software):

In whatever program you are printing photos from, if it is offered as an option, go to

File - Print Preview

and see whether what you see is cropped in the manner you describe, or not. Let me know what you find out this way.

Also tell me:
- what program are you printing from?
- what size of blank paper stock (glossy) are you using?

(There may be more question I will have to ask, but for the moment that's all I need to know.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using a mac and my preview is the print section and the preview looks fine. I am using iphoto 9 and I am using 8x10 glossy paper
Is iPhoto set up properly for printing to the 8 by 10 inch paper size? (Admittedly I don't know a lot about iPhoto, and am just asking on general principles.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes iphoto is set up for that size. In he print menu you choose the size of the paper you want. The whole time I have been navigating this problem it has been 8x19 with borders.
Since I am not expert in iPhoto, I am Opting Out, in the hope that another Expert with the right answer will take up this case. Good luck.

(The only idea I have left, and it isn't much of one, is to use a different program - but since I have no idea which one you might use, it doesn't count for much.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When will another person contact me?
If and when another JustAnswer.com Expert contributes to this case, you will receive a notification email.

Or you can check by accessing your question's own page:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers-and-office/5er7g-canon-mg8120-printer-middle-printing-photos.html

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need this problem fixed. I feel your technicians are not fully aware of computers outside PCs I have a mac with iphoto and need direct assistance with this and my printer. If this problem can't be address I will terminate my service with your company very quickly. Please help me with this problem.

I have requested that this case be switched to the MAC category, since it involves that sort of computer and the specifically Apple-originated software program 'iPhoto'.

I hope that an Expert in that category will pick up on the case and give you a good Answer.