Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

I just bought a new MacBook Air along with a LaCie external

Customer Question

I just bought a new MacBook Air along with a LaCie external hard drive. I have transferred by iTunes files from my old computer onto the LaCie drive but I cannot get it to download on my new MacBook. I get a message that says: The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

Can you tell me how I can get my iTunes to transfer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Have you fully updated your itunes on the macbook air to the latest version?

You usually see this if you old library was say 10.4 and you new one is 10.3 and you wont be able to read the itunes.itl file with an old versio

Omer Mushahwar :

if you dont have a lot of play lists and stuff one option is to rename the file say itunes.itlold so itunes doesnt see it and makes a new itunes.itl file

This imports all the music and everything where you point the library however you lose all your play lists

Customer:

Yes - it is updated to a 10.4.

Customer:

How do I rename it?

Omer Mushahwar :

basically click on it and select to rename the file and change the extension

Omer Mushahwar :

if your security doesnt allow you to another option is to move it out of the folder say drag it to your desktop so you have it just in case

Omer Mushahwar :

basically you want to rename the file or move it out of the itunes folder so itunes can recreate it

Customer:

OK - I'm a grandmother. These things don't come easily for me. Help walk me through this. I have the LaCie file open on my new Air. There is an icon that says iTunes. How do I rename it? When I click on it, I get the same error message.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi sorry ok when you copied the itunes library from the old mac computer to your LaCie one of the files copied should be a file named itunes.itl these are your library settings from your old computer.

Can you tell me the steps you are using to import your old library to your itunes on your New Air Laptop from the LaCie hard drive

Customer:

I plugged the LaCie into the Air and opened the LA-Public file from the Applications icon. There is a La-Pulic option on the left drop down menu that I click on. I am assuming that opens the files on the external drive. That is where the iTunes icon is. I have moved the icon down to the toolbar on the Air. When I click on it, that is when I get the error message.

Omer Mushahwar :

So did you copy your actual music files over or the itunes application?

Customer:

When I plugged the LaCie into my old computer, I dragged the iTunes icon into the LaCie icon. It then copied the files into it.

Omer Mushahwar :

I see ok that seems to have moved the application not the actual library basically the steps to move your library are as follows

first make sure that the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option is selected in iTunes Preferences: From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.In the resulting window, click the Advanced button.Select the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checkbox.Click OK.

Once you are sure itunes is organizing your library you then want to (on the older mac) have it move the library to your Lacie Hard drive to do this

1. Open iTunes.

2. From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.

3. Click the Advanced button in the Preferences window.

4. Click the Change button in the iTunes Media folder location pane.

5. In the Change Media Folder Location window that appears, navigate to the location where you would like your new iTunes Media folder to be created. This would be your LACIE HARD DRIVE

6. Click the New Folder button in the Change Media Folder Location window.

7. In the New Folder window that appears, enter the name of the new iTunes Media folder.

8. Click Create.

9. Click Choose in the Change Media Folder Location window.

10. Click OK in the Advanced window.

11. From the File menu, choose Library and then Organize Library

12. In the Organize Library (or Consolidate Library) window, select Consolidate files.

13. Click OK. Important: This action copies all of your music and media files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your music and media files.

Omer Mushahwar :

Then once you have the data copied properly on the LaCie you will go to your Mac Book Air and import the data

Customer:

I am in the Change Media Folder location with the iTunes files on the right. I do not see where the LACIE option is...

Omer Mushahwar :

is the lacie plugged into the older mac? Does it show as an Icon on your desktop?

Omer Mushahwar :

you should be able to browse to a location you want to set the media folder to and you should be able to select your external hard drive

Customer:

Success!!! I did it!! Thank you SO much!!

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis