Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

I have installed the newest safari version with leopard. Can

Customer Question

I have installed the newest safari version with leopard. Can i disable or delete the "private browsing" button. I have also installed the x code tools.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.com a paid global support site.

I see you have installed the x code tools that is a great first step as it is necessary to do this.

1. Go to applications folder in Finder
2. right click (with a mighty mouse or 2 button mouse, or Control+click for one button mice) on safari and choose "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Contents, then Resources, then English.lproj folder (or for whatever language you have maybe)
4. Double click on MainMenu.nib to open it in interface builder
5. look at the window with the safari menu, click on Safari to expand it, then click on the Private Browsing menu item.
6. hit the delete key
7. hit command+s to save, close interface builder if you want, and relaunch safari.

Omer Mushahwar :

the trick here is you have to do this every time you update safari

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
You were offline so I switched the chat to Q&A format so it wouldn't time out.

Thanks and let me know if you have any issues with this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i did exactly that and deleted it but when I re-launched safari, the delete private browsing was still there. So i went to do it again, but once I clicked on main menu, now Safari doesnt pop up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I didn't re-launch it earlier. Now I did and it says "the application safari quit unexpectedly" so I try to relaunched it an it won't open now.
Try restarting the mac, and let me know if it is still having issues after a complete reboot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried that and it's still doing the sane thing.
And you only deleted the private browsing button?

Go ahead and update safari this should restore it back to working order once you do that you can try these steps again to remove the private browse button