Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

Hello, my iPhoto library does not open. I just get the loading

my iPhoto library does not open. I just get the loading bar and nothing else happens. However, if I create a new library it opens. So how can I fix my old library and get all my photos back?

Thanks

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied.

Steve :

Try the directions on this page about doing a Manual rebuild of the iPhoto library:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2638

Scroll down to the part that says:

Additional Information

Performing a "Manual rebuild"

Steve :

Let me know how that goes. Read the note at the bottom concerning the "original" images and the modified images. You could end up with a lot of double copies. But you will want the modified images if you have invested a lot of work in them.

Steve :

If you are doing as suggested, it may take awhile. I'll check back in a half hour.

JACUSTOMER-42jzcba3- :

JACUSTOMER-42jzcba3- :

it worked. Thanks a lot

JACUSTOMER-42jzcba3- :

Sorry. It seems I have a problem. I'm getting the same size of the iPhoto library, but I don't get all my pictures back.

Steve :

Some of the images may have been corrupted or lost.

Steve :

You can do the Control Click on the old library, view package contents and you'll see the folder structure of all the original images. Then you can drag them individually or by groups to the iPhoto icon and they will reimport.

JACUSTOMER-42jzcba3- :

there isn't a folder called structure.

Steve :

No "folder structure" means the organization of the folders inside the iPhoto Library

JACUSTOMER-42jzcba3- :

If that is the case, I guess I lost some photos.