Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have lost Internet connectivity on my iPhone. The notice

Customer Question

I have lost Internet connectivity on my iPhone. The notice I get is "Cannot Get Mail - The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I have done the above as well as restarting and resetting my iPhone. I still get the same message. I don't know what to do now.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What about safari? Are you able to access any websites using safari? or is the problem just with the mail?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I cannot connect to safari. My problem isn't just with mail but all internet connections.
are you using Wifi to connect to the internet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, my Wi Fi is ON
ok. let me know of the ip address in your phone.

To find the ip address, go to Settings > WiFi. There, your network name will be listed with a check mark next to it. You will see a blue arrow to the right of the network name. Tap on it. It will give you the ip address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is: 192.168.1.100
The ip address looks good enough.

let's try this. GO to settings > general > reset > reset network settings. This will restart the iphone with the network settings back to default. Once back on, go to settings > wifi and connect to your network.

If that does not solve the issue, turn off your iphone, the router and every device that is now connected to the router (computer, scanner, printer, other ipods/ipads etc). Wait for 2 minutes and turn on the router. After another 1 minute, turn on the phone and try to connect to the internet
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
did that help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That didn't work either. What can I try?
Did you try turning off the router, iphone and every device that is now connected to the router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I turned off the router, iPhone but not the computer. Why the computer if the router is off?
If the computer is connecting to the internet using the wifi, you need to turn off the computer too. You can turn off the wireless port in your computer instead of turning off the whole computer. But I am not sure where the port is in your computer.

So it is better to turn off the computer itself if you don't know where the wireless switch is in your computer.

The reason why we need to turn off all the devices connected to the wifi is, just because we want to give a fresh ip address to all the devices.

So turn off everything, wait for 2 minutes, turn on the router, after another 1 minute turn on the phone and try to connect
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer service is with cable not with WiFi. Does that make a difference?
In that case there is no need to turn off the computer.

Your issue is easily solved in many cases using that troubleshooting.

let's try it again. Turn off the router and the phone (and if any other device such as ipods/iphone/ipad is connected to the router, turn off that too). Wait for 2 minutes and turn on the router.

This time, after turning on the router, wait for another 2-3 minutes, and then turn on the phone. Some routers can take long to issue an ip address.

if it still does not resolve the issue, go to settings > general > reset > reset network settings.

let me know if it still does not resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What does "imap.gmail.com" mean?
that is the incoming mail server for google. you don't have to worry about that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing is working. When I clicked on Safari, it said "cannot open page" Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet.

Gmail still says what I wrote above.

Hotmail says the mail server "pop3.live.com is not responsible. And then the same as gmail above.

I'm not getting connectivity to the internet in spite of all you've told me to do.

This started yesterday morning for no reason at all. I checked my mail in the a.m. and I got my messages. Several hours later I got the above messages.

I cannot understand how I could lose connectivity without touching anything.

Sorry to hear that...:(

It may be a temporary issue which may get resolved by itself. usually the troubleshooting I described does resolve the issue, but I am not sure why it did not this time.

you can also go for a restore of the phone. If you have the computer where you usually sync your iphone with, try to restore the phone. After restoring the phone, you have two options - "restore from backup" and "set up as new phone". click on "restore from backup".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will try this. But I have to leave for an appointment in a few minutes. If this doesn't resolve it, I have to quit and will be back later.
no problem..take your time...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the restore function on iTunes but message came up "network connection timed out" so could not restore.

I cannot spend more time on this right now.

Will go to Verizon store this p.m. to get them to restore connectivity.

Thanks for your help but I cannot click on Accept Answer until this issue is resolved.

no worries....it is your satisfaction that matters, and since I could not resolve your issue, you need not click on "accept"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The phone went back to normal, getting an Internet connection, when I went to another location but then went back to the problem shortly after I got home.

I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon and finally got the issue resolved by disconnecting the WiFi and using only 3G. I had to delete the mail settings and reset them. This seemed to do the trick.

I don't want you not to get paid even though the issue was not resolved after talking with you so I will click on the Accept button.

Good to know that your issue is resolved....:)

Thank you very much for accepting!!