robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

i am not sure if spotlight is working correctly, i recently

i am not sure if spotlight is working correctly, i recently converted a file using the video conversion program iVI, the program works great, I've converted many files, it automatically adds things to iTunes after conversion, i spent about 5 hours converting the movie Das Boot from DVD and i can't seem to find it anywhere, whenever i pull up spotlight and type in Das Boot nothing comes up, to trouble shoot, i even tried typing in something basic like a song or band in my iTunes library and still nothing. What is wrong, when i installed OS X lion it defiantly took a few hours or so to index so i know it indexed, maybe something happen while indexing? please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 5 years ago.
This happens from time to time, your best bet is to re-index everything, I had to do this twice before Lion was picking up everything in my system. Here's how to rebuilt it again.

• Launch ‘Terminal’ (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
  • At the command prompt, type this exactly: sudo mdutil -E /
  • You will be asked for your password, provide it, as this command requires administrator privelages to run
  • You will receive a confirmation message saying that index will be rebuilt
  • Wait until index is finished rebuilding, this can take a while depending on the size of your hard drive, amount of files, etc.