Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I frequently - daily sometiimes get the message the pop server

I frequently - daily sometiimes get the message "the pop server "pop.att.yahoo.com" rejected the password XXXXX [email protected] Please reenter your password. Check this box to remember this password XXXXX my keychain. Often, I have to click on something to manually put my account back on line.

I also sometimes get "cannot send message using server smtp.att.yahoo.com:[email protected]

Why do I continually get these messages?
Are you using Apple Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't think so. How can I verify that?
What program do you open to get your email?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Apple version 3.6
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Completed. There were lots of status messages. I tried to copy and paste them but couldn't. There were a couple of warnings: SUID files user.sbin/pppd and SUID files user/sbin/pnd were both modified and will not be repaired.

Do you need to know these, or if it completed, is that enough?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what is the status of this? Am I fixed?
No not yet:

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
OK Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Mail select your Inbox and got o Mailbox / Rebuild
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MAC OS X 10.5.8
PROCESSOR: 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
MEMORY: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I went to MAILBOX. REBUILD is grayed out.
Did you select the Inbox first?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I had to select my AT&T box under Inbox and then I was able to click on REBUILD. No what?
Restart and tell me if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So far, nothing. But, can we leave the ticket open until the end of the day to see if it pops up again? If it doesn't I will select "accept answer" .

Thanks for your help.
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't had one message in two days. I think we got it!!!

Thank you very much.
Great!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It just happened again. My outgoing email did not go out and after the "time out" period I got the message: "The pop server "pop.att.yahoo.com" has rejected the password XXXXX [email protected]

I had to reenter my password XXXXX This issue apparently is not resolved.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now I can't get incoming mail. It says that AT&T server port 995 failed. I clicked the blue box to bring my mailbox back on line but it failed. I keep getting the error message.
Go here and tell me if you can sign in with your password:

http://att.my.yahoo.com/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I can.
Is your email program setup like this?

AT&T email server settings are displayed in the table below. Use these to set up your email program (e.g., Outlook) for any AT&T email accounts.

Email Program Settings Field: Enter:
Incoming (POP) inbound.att.net
Outgoing (SMTP)

outbound.att.net

(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server: POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g.,[email protected],[email protected])
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

Note: When updating the secure server settings, check the SSL check box first and then update the port number if necessary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to MAIL, PREFERENCES, ACCOUNT INFO. Here is what I found:
Incoming mail server: pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing: [email protected]

Where do I go to reset these as you have above?
Advanced for the 995 and select the item next to SMTP and go to Edit SMTP Server list.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to Advanced and there is a box with 995 written in it and a checked box for SSL next to it.

I am not seeing anything with SMTP.

I have 3 checked boxes for ENABLE ACCOUNT, INCLUDE AUTO CHECK FOR NEW MAIL, REMOVE COPY FROM SERVER.

Am I in the right place?
Clcik on the list next to SMTP and go to Edit SMTP server list.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There in no SMTP on that page.
You don't see a window like this?
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, sorry I went to the Advanced window. I have now checked the box that says "use only this server" at the end of the page, right after the outgoing server information. Is that what you wanted me to do?
Yes, but you do it for each account and make sure that is checked with the right server.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I only have one account. I checked the box for smtp.att.yahoo.com:[email protected]

That should do it?
Yes if you only have one account delete any other SMTP servers in that list.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Let's see how it goes. Thank you again.
OK let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It happened again. The message said: pop server "pop.att.yahoo.com rejected the password XXXXX user: [email protected]

I checked preferences again and I have selected "smtp.att.yahoo.com and the box use only this server is checked.

Now what?
OK go to Utilities / Keychain Access, open that and go to Keychain Access / Keychain First Aid and repair the Keychains
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for Alberta Saran (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/albertasaran
Checked login keychain
Checked default keychain
Checked keychain search list
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates
No problems found
Repair completed

I CLICKED IT BACK TO VERIFY AFTER THE REPAIR WAS DONE. WAS THAT THE RIGHT THING TO DO?
OK POP is the problem not SMTP so check those settings:
Incoming (POP) inbound.att.net

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
INCOMING: pop.att.yahoo.com Do I need to change that?

The incoming port 995 is checked.
Yes that is the problem it should be:

inbound.att.net

I gave you those specs a while back and assumed you had checked them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I was concentrating on the SMTP settings. OK, now that inbound box only says "att.net:
No inbound.att.net the whole thing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, did that. Not getting any messages to my inbox.
OK is you SMTP set to

outbound.att.net
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure if you got my last communication. I changed it to inbound.att.net. I am not getting any emails to my inbox. I have sent two from my work computer.
Ok please check everything again including full email address and ports:

Email Program Settings Field: Enter:
Incoming (POP) inbound.att.net
Outgoing (SMTP)

outbound.att.net

(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server: POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., [email protected], [email protected])

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am getting incoming now. Three from you and the two test emails I sent. Let's give this a day and see how it goes.

Thank you for being so patient and sticking with me!
No problem let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's happening again. Once yesterday morning and twice this morning so far. Only difference is the message: pop server:inbound.att.net rejected the password for [email protected] I entered my password and checked the box to remember in my keychain.

It only happened once yesterday, so I thought it was OK. But twice within 10 minutes this morning. :(
OK open Keychain Access again and delete any items referring to the account.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 2 inbound.att.net, 1 pop.att.yahoo and 1 att.net. Shall I remove all of them?
Delete all of them you can save again after.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I deleted all of them. Also, at the top of the keychain page is an icon of an open lock. It says to click there to lock the keychain. Should I do that? Do I need to put back any of the items I just deleted?
When you put your password in again it will ask if you want to save it in your keychain. You can leave it unlocked
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When do I put in my password? The next time it asks for it? And then should that be the last time I get the prompt?
Yes hopefully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Let's see how that goes. I will let you know.

Thank you again.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It asked me twice today for my password. I checked the keychain box this morning, thinking that was OK since it was the firs time I saw the request since Friday. But now, it asked a 2nd time.

Any other suggestions?
Go to Apple Logo to Software Update let me know if there are an updates.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are three to be done. When I tried to install them, the system didn't recognize my password and I locked myself out. Another issue that I have dealt with... I had an issue with coordinating my i Tunes Store password with my Apple ID password. I ended up changing them several times, and I thought that was cleared up. The fact that my password wasn't recognized is a concern to me.
OK what about the yahoo password in Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm leaving today on vacation - camping in Glacier National Park. I will continue this when I get back after Labor Day.
OK did I ever ask you if this is a yahoo plus account, which is a paid account? If it is not you can‘t use Apple Mail you can only use your web browser.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it's not the plus account.
OK then you can‘t use Apple Mail you can only sign in on yahoo.com with a web browser. Sorry I should have checked that a long time ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike, I'm back from vacation - great camping in Glacier National Park. So, does this mean I need to have an email address with @yahoo.com? Do I make yahoo my home page?

I am still being asked for my password almost on a daily basis.
If you have a free yahoo account you cannot use Apple Mail just delete the account in Mail you have to use yahoo.com with a web browser.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So just to be sue I understand, I need to use yahoo as my home page, not the apple home page. Since yahoo and att are affiliated, I should be able to keep the same email address.

I will change to yahoo and see what that does.

Thanks.
You can use any page as your home page this has nothing to do with that but for your email you have to access through yahoo.com.