Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

my home computer has been getting slower and slower for the

my home computer has been getting slower and slower for the past few months. i also am running Mac OS X 10. 4.11 and iTunes won't download on this, saying i need the new OS. how do i upgrade the OS, and how do i get rid of viruses or whatever is slowing me down? will Entourage automatically upgrade with the new OS, or do i need to upgrade it separately?
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Latest version of iTunes Requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or later. Which Mac are you using ? Intel or PPC ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you receive my answer? a desktop iMac
No, Intel or PPC ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the box says Intel Core Duo
You can buy and install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard ($29). You can buy Snow Leopard from Apple, BestBuy etc

When you get the discs, put the disc to your Mac and follow onscreen instructions to install Snow Leopard.

For the slow issues, follow the troubleshooting steps below;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked.

Best Regards,